Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-12-2003 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber

rotational node problem

Hi

After rigging my character, I went to rotate the shoulder joint down to put the arm by the characters side and noticed that the visual rotation node wasn’t rotating as usual. I rotated the arm down in the Y (green) direction but the Z (blue) didn’t move with it as it should. It just stays static as you can see from the picture included. The problem is that I need to be able to swing the arm as he walks and so will need the Z rotation to do this when the arm is by his side. How do I rectify this problem and get my rotation nodes working correctly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent absolutely ages rigging this character and I don’t want to have to start all over again if possible
Thanks in advance for any advise and help

Dave

Attached Images
# 2 18-12-2003 , 09:20 AM
Looks like you have your rotate tool set to gimbal mode. You can set it back to local (or global, if you want that) using either of the following methods:

1. Press and hold 'e' and left-click-hold to bring up the Rotate Tool marking menu. Select Local or Global.

2. Double-click the Rotate Tool in the Toolbox. Set the rotation mode in the dialog box.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job