Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-07-2004 , 08:57 PM

I'll tumble for ya ...

Hey gang,

I am new to MAYA. I am really starting to get the hang of it due in large part to the tuts I've gotten from this site so I hope someone can help me with this seemingly simple yet frustrating issue.

When I'm modeling (dollying in and out and tumbling around and generally having a blast) something always seems to happen. The "pivot" that the perspective camera tumbles/rotates around seems to change or move in relation to the camera. Sometimes when I dolly in really close to the model and then rotate my view the camera moves as if the point its rotating around is very far away which causes the camera to swing wildly (not that its completely out of control, just VERY touchy). Also when I zoom or dolly in and out the camera seems to slow or move in much smaller increments where I have to move the mouse much farther to cover short distances and then it seems to pass some point in space and it "speeds up" again. The more I move the camera around the bigger the problem.

How does the perspective camera choose the point around which it rotates? Has anyone else dealt with this or is it just me?

In other words: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?!?

Thanx for listening

Dave

# 2 23-07-2004 , 09:58 PM
pick an object and hit the "f" key. (fit to window). The perp view will now rotate around that object.

# 3 23-07-2004 , 10:50 PM
Now whay didn't I think of that?

Because I'm a noob!

For some reason my mind didn't make the link between the F key and the perspective camera movement.

Thanx for your help

Dave

# 4 23-07-2004 , 11:50 PM
don't beat yourself up, it's not a very logical setup.

# 5 24-07-2004 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dann
don't beat yourself up, it's not a very logical setup.

how much more logical can it get.... "f" for frame selection, Shift+f for frame selection in all views....

# 6 24-07-2004 , 08:06 AM
I think DANN was just being polite after kindly answering my goofball question ... so settle down, squirt.

Dave

# 7 24-07-2004 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by swankymonkey
I think DANN was just being polite after kindly answering my goofball question ... so settle down, squirt.

Dave

squirt! hehuser added image