Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-01-2009 , 12:31 PM
SM Tea Boy

Free Tutorial - Glass Jug

user added image

Welcome to the first Simply Maya freebie tutorial of 2009! This particular tutorial is 30 min's long and is split into two parts. For those of you not familiar with our new HD format, this video will give you a chance to get acquainted with it. We recommend you download Ffdshow Tryouts this will allow you to view this tutorial in any media player of your choosing.

Part 1 covers basic modeling techniques using nurbs curves and nurbs objects. Using a nurbs curve, an outline/cross section is drawn and then rotated around its center axis to produce a cup like object which is then adjusted accordingly to create the final form of a water jug. The handle of the jug is then created from a simple path extrusion, again using nurbs curves and shapes, and is again edited by adding isoparms to finish it off. A back ground object is then added to finish the scene.

Part 2 is aimed purely at giving you a headstart with glass shading using the dielectric shader in mental ray to create a convincing glass effect straight out of the box!

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=164

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 08-01-2009 , 12:42 PM
Looks like a nice free tutorial that covers a lot of common problems people have when rendering glass, should help a lot of people out.

Nice Jugs Jay!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-01-2009 , 03:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL cheers Steve, I had a comment from my Mrs when she'd asked what I'd done for this, I said 'Modelling Jugs' she just gave me the 'tuh, typical man!' look and vacated the area LOL

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!!

Jay

# 4 08-01-2009 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
LOL cheers Steve, I had a comment from my Mrs when she'd asked what I'd done for this, I said 'Modelling Jugs' she just gave me the 'tuh, typical man!' look and vacated the area LOL

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!!

Jay

haha, my girlfriend would be disappointed to see that's what I meant by jugs, haha.