Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-10-2008 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber

vista versus Xp performance?

Hey people!

I was thinking to switch to Vista, but seing that it needs more memory then XP does, i was wondering if anybody knows what is general performance in XP (32 bit) and Vista (32bit) on maya. If you have really heavy scene that uses both memory and procesor to max, will in general vista leave less memory for Maya assuming Vista needs more memory in general, and what is in general faster, on vista or xp? Just need to know if i'm better off staying with XP for rendering heavy scenes that needs lots of memory.

Tnx and sorry if this has been posted before.

# 2 30-10-2008 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
not sure which one is faster but vista takes more memory than xp as you said

but i think the memory it needs decreases if you need more for another program

i was watching the task manager as i ran my experiements
my experiments required a lot of ram (and they are incomplete due to lack of memory and crap programing from my supervisor)

for me normally vista takes 40~50% of my memory (i have 4gb) but when it reached ~97% used the process that vista had going was taken out of memory to make room for my program
i think the memory usage by vista decreased to ~10%

so in otherwords, vista takes up 2gb of memory but will use less if you start doing something that requires a lot of memory

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 02-11-2008 , 09:14 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
dont quite understand you chirone cause i have only 2 gig does that mean that vista takes up 50% of the ram or takes 2gig of ram

# 4 02-11-2008 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
aha, yeah i just read what i wrote...

i can't really say since i've only seen it running on my computer

but the point is, is that it will free up memory to make room for other apps.
so for you it might take up ~1GB of your RAM, or it might take up ~2GB but then free up more when you need it.

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 02-11-2008 , 03:26 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
my relationship with vista is like a bad marriage that i just cant leave...................... maybe its cause my hardware cant cut it but when i bought the machine it had a gig of ram it use to use like 40% of my ram i add an extra chip and it uses 50% of my total ram whats up with that??
honestly if i had a more user friendly OS i would move(I know you all were about to mention linux)...

# 6 02-11-2008 , 03:29 PM
Drop back to XP.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 02-11-2008 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
it's as i said then. it takes up ~50% of your ram...

Originally posted by murambi
honestly if i had a more user friendly OS i would move(I know you all were about to mention linux)...

linux is for true blooded geeks, you have to type all everything as a command to do anything like installing, it's not as simple as clicking a few buttons (or so i'm told)

# 8 02-11-2008 , 10:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by Chirone

linux is for true blooded geeks, you have to type all everything as a command to do anything like installing, it's not as simple as clicking a few buttons (or so i'm told)

sounds like you need a mac..............

There is no way that youll get better performance with Vista
why do you want to switch?

# 9 03-11-2008 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
sounds like you need a mac..............

nah, i like my five button mouse... and the mouse that the imacs have are a pain in the ass to use. two buttons on the side that dont even depress and a button that you push down with your palm (which means you cant get lazy or relax) and all three of them do the same thing.:angery:

i'll only get one if i'm forced too

# 10 03-11-2008 , 05:37 AM

lol?

Typing commands to install things in Linux is what the newbies do... more experienced users just let the setup program handle everything during the initial OS installation or the package manager when they want to add or remove software... :p

Of course, if you feel like you can handle the all-powerful command line...

"yum install firefox" installs firefox on Fedora...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 11 03-11-2008 , 02:37 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

Drop back to XP

for some wierd reason my board drivers dont work when i move to xp only the display drivers work.even if i try to install from the drivers cd that i came with my board it just tells me installation failed and when i move back to vista everything works fine

# 12 03-11-2008 , 04:43 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

nah, i like my five button mouse... and the mouse that the imacs have are a pain in the ass to use. two buttons on the side that dont even depress and a button that you push down with your palm (which means you cant get lazy or relax) and all three of them do the same thing.:angery:

i'll only get one if i'm forced too

you can just plug in your ordinary mouse........

# 13 03-11-2008 , 04:52 PM
Use a wacom tablet, user added image i ditched my mouse a while ago

FX supervisor - double negative
# 14 05-11-2008 , 02:25 AM

Originally posted by murambi
for some wierd reason my board drivers dont work when i move to xp only the display drivers work.even if i try to install from the drivers cd that i came with my board it just tells me installation failed and when i move back to vista everything works fine

If the drivers on your CD are for Vista, then they won't work with XP. Go to the manufacturer of your board's site and see if there are drivers for XP.

@ elephantinc - But the ordinary mouse was not designed by the divine hand of Lord Jobs! *outraged* :p

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 15 05-11-2008 , 12:50 PM
Level 32 pachyderm