Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-02-2003 , 11:13 AM

a few questions

Hello,

I'm pretty new to maya, and I have a few questions.

first and foremost, is there a way to mirror a NURBs cylinder? I sculpted one for an arm on a model, and I want to duplicate it so i don't have to do that work all over again. I know you can mirror polys but i haven't seen anything about NURBs mirroring.

Second, how do I apply textures that i create with photoshop? with bryce it's easy.. click click voila. But with this I'm running around in circles user added image .. It's driving me insane!

Also, when I render a frame it looks grainy.. Is there a way to counteract this?

I have my model almost finished.. all I need to do is build the other arm and texture everything. here's what I have ATM

I appreciate any feedback.
TIA,

Abaddon

"I drank what?" - Socrates
# 2 09-02-2003 , 08:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can mirror NURBS pretty much just like polys. Place your pivot point at the mirroring point, duplicate with default options, and -1 in the scale direction you want.

You can adjust your Anti-Aliasing in the Render Globals to Production to smooth out the pixelated edges.

To apply file textures, map your Material's color attribute with a File node, and then point the file node to your created .tga or whatever. If using a .tga, make sure you have an alpha channel. In my experience, .jpgs sometimes do not want to import, but I've not had any trouble with .tga yet.

Your texture may not fit your model correctly automatically. When dealing with NURBs, you have to create your texture to fit your mesh. With polygons, you can adjust your UVs to fit your texture.

Good luck!

# 3 11-02-2003 , 08:10 AM

thanks a whole bunch.. here's the finished model, i just have to finish painting it user added image

"I drank what?" - Socrates