Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-04-2003 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

Questions about 3D jobs, salaries, and the like.

Well, I just read a thread on Highend3D about job saleries and well, I'm...a little worried. From the looks of it, there is a large group of animators, character artists, texture designers, etc who are underpaid. Apparently, it's also really hard to find jobs, and when you do, it usually only lasts for several months, then you're out looking for another job. This is because the number of people wanting to be in the 3D industry has grown to ten times the size of what it used to be 20 years ago. Saleries usually range from 15 - 18 bucks an hour, however there were a lot of people on the thread who said that their salary is twice that. Companies often hire newly graduated animators since they don't usually have to pay them much as opposed to hiring well-rounded, experienced animators who have been in the business for years. You have to bargain a lot to get paid anything, too.

From what I see, 3D artistry and the like is the backbone of special effects, video games, and is present in nearly every comercial you see on tv, yet the people who put 60 hours+ a week in to make it all get paid nothing and have it the worst. Is there any good side to being in this industry or am I doomed to worry where my next paycheck is going to come from?

I have also considered becoming a teacher for Maya and other 3D related softwares if the chance presents itself to me. Teachers usually seem to stick around for a longer period of time because they run on a set shedule that is the same year-round. Does anyone know how much they get paid or if being a Maya teacher would be very appealing? Thanks.

# 2 11-04-2003 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain

Re: Questions about 3D jobs, salaries, and the like.

Originally posted by Darkware
Companies often hire newly graduated animators since they don't usually have to pay them much as opposed to hiring well-rounded, experienced animators who have been in the business for years.

I wish I knew of some of these companies.... I've been looking for a job for quite a while. :p

# 3 11-04-2003 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber
As far as I can see it, its all freelance stuff now...very few ppl appear to have long term contracts with specific houses. I dunno...but yeah the number of animators, modellers, riggers etc has increased dramatically. Its kinda disheartening and a bit of a worry. U just gotta keep plugging away I guess. Ive read a few articles suggesting that the best option for new graduates is to become teachers because its their best bet in terms of employment...hmmm we shall see I guess...Im not keen on becoming a teacher...especially not in this country...but thats another matter

# 4 11-04-2003 , 05:29 PM
The best place to get a well paid, good, and long lasting job is probably the big companies like ILM, Pixar, Sony ImageWorks...etc

You guys could search the monster.com site. I usually find a good list of jobs there.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 11-04-2003 , 06:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, they usually want people who have like 5+ years of experience with previously released products/games/films/etc...

I guess eventually all those types of people will die out and the rest of us will get a chance. user added image

# 6 11-04-2003 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
hmm... yeah.. 5 years plus.. damn!!

wait, when i will be old enough to get a job,, i would have like what... 7 years experience?? wow.. yayay,, i will get a job in pixar...

nah, i dont want to get a job in 3d due to the same reason you are struggling for... unemployment...

Last edited by tariqrf; 11-04-2003 at 06:52 PM.
# 7 11-04-2003 , 07:56 PM
Being a teacher is an interesting experience. I've been doing it for 5 years now, and I really enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it forever, but for now, it's what I like to do.

From a financial standpoint, how much you are paid varies greatly depending on the type of teaching position you have and the school you work at. It's most likely that, initially, you won't make nearly as much as you would at a "regular" job. However, if you stick with it, you could make a very good living (especially as a tenured professor at a university). If you get into teaching, it should not be about the money. There are better, faster, and easier ways to earn lots of cash.

Unlike commercial studios where you may be working on the same project for a year, 2 years, or more and can easily get into a rut, there is a great deal of variety in teaching. There is always a new group of students just around the corner, and it is almost never the same group dynamic. With the regular turnover in students, you're always around someone who is excited and genuinely interested in learning new things.

Because there is such variety in the kinds of students you get, you have to get very creative in how present materials and answer questions. Obviously, people skills are extremely important in teaching. You have to be a good communicator. You need to be able to explain the exact same concept in several different ways to accommodate how people think, process information, and learn. You have to be a good motivator. Students look to you for inspiration and guidance. Even if you don't have the answers, you should be able to help students discover what they need to know. Most importantly, you need to have a great deal of patience.

There's a lot more that goes into teaching, but I won't type anymore. This post is already becoming a mini dissertation. In general, I think teaching is definitely a viable option. Just make sure you're getting into it for the right reasons.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 11-04-2003 , 08:12 PM
You've also got to consider that any of the big companies such as Pixar or ILM have a "name" so if you're fresh in the industry, they can underpay you because of the "privilege" of working for them. Viacom tends to be that way as well. I have friends that were all psyched to do web work at MTV only to fine they got paid squat and worked longer hours.....but hey...it's MTV, right? user added image

I think there are jobs out there but it may be in certain niches, like local broadcast companies doing station IDs, legal re-creations (of a car accident or plane crash perhaps), health kiosks or shows, and of course, indie commercials. Not as glorious maybe as creating the battle of Isengard, but pays the bills and gives you practical, real world experience, not to mention gives contacts that can lead to more work.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 9 11-04-2003 , 10:22 PM

Originally posted by tariqrf
hmm... yeah.. 5 years plus.. damn!!

wait, when i will be old enough to get a job,, i would have like what... 7 years experience?? wow.. yayay,, i will get a job in pixar...

nah, i dont want to get a job in 3d due to the same reason you are struggling for... unemployment...

As Mike said, 5 year experiance...PLUS a game/film/product released.

# 10 12-04-2003 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
a good effects artist,..underpaid???.na!
you should all come to the us its still cool here

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 11 12-04-2003 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
euuh I mean .california..and los angelesto be specific....

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 12 12-04-2003 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
hehe thats the dream for many a cgartist anita...just had a scary thought...wonder where I'll be 4 yrs down the line....eeekauser added image

# 13 12-04-2003 , 05:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
if I had the money and means to move, I would. :p

# 14 12-04-2003 , 07:05 PM
Hello, guys ...

As dannyngan already noted, there might be some money on the teaching sector, and it can be a really rewarding experience. Of all the things talked about here in this thread, this is the only one I found worthy enough*. Do not think in terms as "how can I get into Xcompany?" ... think in terms of "How could Xcompany benefit from my talent?" ... and have you ever thought of "Do I actually need to be on Xcompany?"

Let me recap a second here, I´m studying at the moment Graphics Design Enterprises Management, so the day when I finally graduate -which will happen in a year or so- I´ll become a Creative Director -somewhat-, I should be able to get the job done, have the know-how, and be able to pick the people best suited for the job.

As such, the whole point of my career is actually being able to survive by myself in such an environment. Here in Venezuela, advertising is one of the biggest chunks I´ve got at my disposal to give a try at. And the way things are done here, it might only take a good contact, maybe some lunch and we´re on our way. Which is why, my only single advise I can give in my narrowminded way to you guys, is simply ... do not stay in the technical aspect of Maya, or 3d in general.

Look on ways you can improve your work, stop making so much GI Joe´s, and try to give your work some meaning. Visit your local museum, look at a hell of a lot of pictures, review them, look at them again, look at ways you could emulate yourself those results. Play with lights, create compositions, try to make more art, than vertex pulling. Buy some art books, design books, and such. Review the three point lighting setup tutorial by Mike (I understand it´s free ¿?).

These are the things people -and indeed, prospective employers**- will look at.

*Nitroliq made an excellent remark also, about certain niches which could be explored
**As if we actually needed those ... (That´s my spirit anyway)

Last edited by adldesigner; 12-04-2003 at 07:12 PM.
# 15 12-04-2003 , 07:20 PM
Well said adl.

I plan, after uni to hopfully join a small company or video games company, after a few years, a bigger company (Cinesite sound good, not too small, not too big), then maybe a bigger company.

I would also love to start my own 3D company someday...[i can just see the oscars now user added image ]

Last edited by doodle; 12-04-2003 at 07:28 PM.