Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-12-2003 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber

How do I distribute a shader?

I would like to distribute a shader network that I have created which uses a number of files.

It contains bump, spec, and transparency images that are stored, on my PC, in C:\my documents\maya\myshader\files. If I were to export the shader from Maya, would the person who receives the shader have to ensure that the bump, spec, transp files are contained in the identical path on their PC?

# 2 10-12-2003 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber
Wouldn't have to ensure, they could always connect the maps up themselves.

# 3 10-12-2003 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
yes Maya will look for them in your path structure.
what you need to do is copy all the files(images) into 1 file if you set up your project just use the file called (I think source images or something like that) then set the path to that file. if not make sure they are all in one location.
now in hypershade select the texture node to export and export it out to a mb file. Now be sure to send the mb file and all source images.

Now wen he assigns the shader he will get a black pic now in the attribute editor(texture editor) source the image from the new file loacation. I have found you only need to do it once and maya will (well almost always) find all the relative images.

Hope that helps

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 4 11-12-2003 , 11:32 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by 3djoe
yes Maya will look for them in your path structure.
what you need to do is copy all the files(images) into 1 file if you set up your project just use the file called (I think source images or something like that) then set the path to that file. if not make sure they are all in one location.
now in hypershade select the texture node to export and export it out to a mb file. Now be sure to send the mb file and all source images.

Now wen he assigns the shader he will get a black pic now in the attribute editor(texture editor) source the image from the new file loacation. I have found you only need to do it once and maya will (well almost always) find all the relative images.

Hope that helps

Cheers Joe! I really appreciate the help.

How's the winter in MA? I moved from Boston a few months back and am not going to miss shoveling the driveway...

# 5 11-12-2003 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
glad i could help.

The winter here is great we just got 20" of snow over the weekenduser added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 6 11-12-2003 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
Could someone try downloading the attached ZIP file and seeing if the shader installs OK?

Attached Files
File Type: zip huxearth.zip (363.0 KB, 131 views)
# 7 11-12-2003 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber
yep it works great.:p

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 12-12-2003 , 10:03 AM
What kind of shader is it? I might be able to put it to use(then again i dont even think i know how to install them)

# 9 12-12-2003 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
What kind of shader is it? I might be able to put it to use(then again i dont even think i know how to install them)

You can download the shader here. Instructions for installation are included in the ZIP

Attached Thumbnails

That'll do donkey... that'll do...

Last edited by rich; 12-12-2003 at 10:53 AM.