Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-04-2004 , 08:15 PM

Bicycle...double pivot problem

I would like to have any and all suggestions, regarding the following problem.

I have a bike model. It will be animated doing both front and back wheel wheelies.

What I would like to be able to do is to use the back wheel pivot to lift the front of the bike and the front wheel pivot to lift the back of the bike. Also, I would like the pivot for the front wheel to actually move with the front wheel.

I have tried using, hierarchy, parent, point and orientation constraints. All of these, in thier various iterations have failed miserably. We are ending up with double transforms...which seems logical enough.

Any suggestions Maya-nation?

Thanks in advance!

Keep Looking Up!
# 2 22-04-2004 , 08:35 PM
I'd prolly just make one group called bike. Then parent the wheels under that group and key the wheels and the bike translations separately...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 23-04-2004 , 11:31 PM
Yeah, that would be the easiest thing to do, but I would like to be able to have the pivot "move" from wheel to wheel...you know what I mean.

I know, it sound more complicated thatn it should.

Thanks for the reply.

Keep Looking Up!
# 4 18-05-2004 , 05:01 PM
Try grouping the wheels twice.

By grouping the wheels and then grouping that group you now have two different pivot points you can rotate around.

Group1
Group2
Bicyclewheels

If you move the pivit point of group1 to the middle of the back wheel and the pivot of group2 to the front wheel you will be able to pull a "wheelie" by rotating Group1 and pull an "Endo" by rotating Group2

Moving pivots is done by selecting the move too and pressing INSERT

Have a narley ride dude.