Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-03-2007 , 01:42 PM

The Newbiest Question!! Duplicating.....

I just want to say it's awesome to have so much help like this on the Forum. It's so invaluable to me because I am in Asia!!! I have to learn everything by myself!!! No english teachers of Maya here!

This seems totally nubish. I wanted to duplicate my half head. I know that part. But I wanted it to sew together without a big seem. First is that possible in one action?

I had been duplicating then trying various methods to combine both halves: combining polygons, merging vertices, etc. But there was always an unattractive seem. Is there a simplier way?
It sounds so simple....yet.......

thanks,

Jamz

james
# 2 27-03-2007 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
polygons > mirror geometry. hope this helps

Otherwise. Duplicate your image. Combine both parts. Then merge the vertices down the middle. Then go to edit polygons > Sculpt geometry tool (option box), select the smooth button and just smooth over the middle.

good luck m8

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 27-03-2007 , 11:36 PM
Hi thanks again!

The mirror geometry feature was nice. However there was suddenly a one inch gap between the two halves. So I ended up combining polygons and merging the vertices, which worked out ok.

Having fun in Seoul,

James

james
# 4 28-03-2007 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bondaygee
Hi thanks again!

The mirror geometry feature was nice. However there was suddenly a one inch gap between the two halves. So I ended up combining polygons and merging the vertices, which worked out ok.

Having fun in Seoul,

James

Hey dude,
if the gap is an inch, don't merge it! You should only be merging it if the gaps are minor, but in your case you're widening the model which is a no no. The reason there was a huge gap was because your half wasn't completely centered along th axis. you should select the whole model and snap it to the center. When you select the whole model, you're gonna have to snap the pivot point to the end.

# 5 28-03-2007 , 06:16 AM

Snapping Center!! ??? How??

Actually this is another question in itself!! How does one snap to center?? I had been thinking about that necessity for some time now!!

james
# 6 28-03-2007 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
In this case, you want to snap to grid. Select the object/vert or whatever and then hold down ctrl x. If you want to vert snap, its ctrl V. It's time to buy some tutorials man user added image

# 7 28-03-2007 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
hey, you can merge the verts anywhere. Just go into edit polygons > merge verts option box), thenput the number up.

As for snapping down the middle, select the object or vert you want to snap, with your move tool selected press cntrl + x, to snap to the middle, and cntrl + v to snap to verts

Good Luck.

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 8 01-04-2007 , 12:45 AM
am i doing something different because when i snap verts to the grid all i do is hold x and then move them. is that different than cntrl x?

also, when you snap an object, doesnt it snap wherever the pivot is at? so it doesnt neccesarily snap at the edge. i believe you have to move the pivot. i know how to move the pivot, but how do you move the pivot to the edge of the object? when moving it, do you just have to eyeball it or is there a way to snap it to the edge of an object?

sorry if im hijacking someone's post.

# 9 01-04-2007 , 02:07 AM
for snapping don't hold ctrl, just the buttons. x for grid, c for curve, v for vertex.

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 01-04-2007 , 04:31 AM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
for snapping don't hold ctrl, just the buttons. x for grid, c for curve, v for vertex.

that helps out so much, snapping to a vert. ive been doing it manually for quite some time and never thought of snapping to a vert.

# 11 01-04-2007 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by the_brein
that helps out so much, snapping to a vert. ive been doing it manually for quite some time and never thought of snapping to a vert.

sorry dude, my mistake. You don't hold down cntrl.

# 12 01-04-2007 , 07:15 AM
so does anyone know how to snap a pivot to the end of an object?

# 13 01-04-2007 , 07:19 AM

Originally posted by the_brein
so does anyone know how to snap a pivot to the end of an object?

Press insert (to the right of your backspace key) to be able to adjust your pivot's location, and move however you want (point snapping, moving, etc), and then press insert again to go out of pivot-adjusting mode.