Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 151 25-10-2010 , 08:07 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
wasn't happy with the eyes...this looks a lot better imo

Attached Thumbnails
# 152 25-10-2010 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
My 2 cents .....

Too pink - just makes him look off. Needs more brown/orange mix in the colour of the skin and the stubble needs work. Indy is always so much more tanned...

user added image

Your texture is mirrored and the stubble shows this off very badly.

The eyes and hat looks really good and the model of the head looks fine - just textures needs work.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 25-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.
# 153 25-10-2010 , 09:43 PM
Hey Tweety,

Thanks for replying and just to start of your absolutely right about the texture toning, I tried to get it a bit down in PS ( that's why it's called graded user added image ), but I just use this texture as a look development tool to get more of an idea how it differs from displaying in Zbrush and Maya , but also to see if the model looks good, I used to slap a pinkish lambert on a model and see if it looked okay, but I found that the further the model went the harder it was to see so that's why I slapped this quick n dirty texture on it and although it looks far from great it helps a lot better then the aforementioned shader.

and regarding the image example you posted:
This picture is heavily graded and he has layers of make up etc etc , just to show how much his face differs all the time and the colortone as well see a compiled image below.

Don't get this the wrong way I really take your advice into account ( I always do that's why my projects take forever, I keep tweaking till I get sick of myself user added image )and I agree with you that it need smore brownish tones, however if you work with ZBrush/Mudbox yourself you"ll agree with me that sometimes you spend an entire evening painting a texture which by the end of the evening looks awesome and when you look at it the next morning you think; was it really like this??? ( both model and texture...let's hope this doesn't happen to me with this one for a change user added image

Thanks for the crit man... have a user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 154 28-10-2010 , 11:42 PM
Renderman, Renderman, do anything a render can.... ( spoof on spiderman song i made up user added image : just listen to this song and replace spiderman with Renderman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o29VoxtsFk )

Don't look at the crappy texture ( at least try not too user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 155 28-10-2010 , 11:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Lookin' good there indy. However, I find it a bit odd how there seems to be light leaking just under the brim of his hat, almost like there's a cut in the band of the hat. Keep it up!

# 156 31-10-2010 , 04:29 PM
Hi Stwert

Thanks

Don't know why there is a lightleak there....will investigate user added image

I have tweaked the corners of the mouth and yes there is still a light leak LOL

Attached Thumbnails
# 157 31-10-2010 , 09:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Much better skin tone there... at least on my monitor.

# 158 07-11-2010 , 01:37 AM
Hey Stwert,

I'm not that concerned about skintoning and such, I am really in model tweaking mode, but thanks for mentioning it.

I did an overall tweak and I think it's coming together, he looks a bit sad at the moment, but that is easily fixed, it still looks a bit odd but I think that mainly comes because there are no eyebrows and such to finish it .

Please feel free to crit
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 159 07-11-2010 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber
yer you need to give him the trademark grin

# 160 07-11-2010 , 02:54 PM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
yer you need to give him the trademark grin

I will in the final render user added image

Well another day another post user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 161 07-11-2010 , 07:09 PM
Administrator
mastone you just made me laugh, I haven't read your thread before and those initial eyebrows were just superuser added image It's shaped up really nicely since then, good resemblence on the model.

I just wanted to give you a tip on the light leak because it's quite distracting, you should try setting up a blocker it's a very common thing to do when you have these problems I use it a lot in rooms where the walls are just one poly thick because this can cause leaks even if you have geometry properly merged sometimes. It looks like your leak's happening in a very narrow area where the hat bends, so either add some thickness or create the blocker from a plane or thin cube and make it very narrow so it doesn't cast shadows on the rest of the hat, from what I can see you just need to cover the edge at the seam. If you go into render stats and turn of primary visibility it won't be visible in your renders, and if you're going for a still at the right angle it would save you some time.

For the skin I think he's looking a bit to pale now, at least on my monitor, when you get back to textures again try working on the material and getting some spec to bring it to life. I'm not sure where you're doing your final renders, but even if it's not in Maya you might want to check out Zap Andersson's tut https://www.lamrug.org/resources/skintips.html on sss shaders because it covers a bit about light scatter on skin and could be used as a reference for other materials. I found it very helpful a while back when I was rendering with some of Kurt's old color maps.

Look forward to seeing the new improved eyebrowsuser added image

# 162 08-11-2010 , 12:43 AM
Hi Miss Nova
Thanks for the tips and glad I made you laugh :p

I have been fiddling with the jaw and I can't seem to decide what looks best broad or narrow I tend to go for the broad jaw since I am making a middle age Indy.

I will decide tomorrow when my head is clear user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 163 08-11-2010 , 09:22 PM
Made something to make Miss Nova smile again LOL
I decided to go for an intermediate jaw width

And did a rough paintover to get a bit of an idea ( and also because I am lazy and don't want to do all the fur tweaking and such user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 164 09-11-2010 , 06:39 PM
Administrator
Actually I can see where you're going with that oneuser added image With some tweaks it should look really good, adds a lot to the look.

# 165 09-11-2010 , 10:15 PM
I think I nailed it down, please feel free to crit , if you guys don't spot anything I will proceed to finalizing user added image

Attached Thumbnails