Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-02-2011 , 06:29 PM

Troubleshooting: Blender->Maya->ZBrush

I made a model in Blender and I was going to sculpt on it in ZBrush now. If I export from Blender as .obj and import into ZBrush, all is fine, except that I cannot import the whole model at once and have it seperated into single subtools.

So I thought to myself, let's import the model into Maya and get it to ZBrush with GoZ. Problem is, when I import the .obj into Maya, it becomes puzzled into pieces each time.

The mesh seems to be ok though:

- just 1 material per object
- no double verts
- no tris
- no non manifold edges
- normals ok
- all modifiers applied
- no seams made yet

I've checked all possible issues, don't know what else to do? Anyone have an idea???

Here are the default export settings available to me in Blender:

user added image

TDWuser added image

# 2 05-02-2011 , 08:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Okay if the model comes into Maya from Zbrush you have to make sure that GRP (groups) are turned off under the export options. Otherwise it will just fall apart.

But OBJ from blender I have no idea, why not try the blender forum or even the Pixologic site for any issues from Blender to Zbrush

J

# 3 05-02-2011 , 08:36 PM
The issue happens from Blender to Maya. In Blender I have one contious mesh, with no single vertex groups, no materials, nothing. And it gets split into pieces with no obvious logic.

TDWuser added image

# 4 06-02-2011 , 12:23 AM
Looking at the options in the blender window you have posted that tells me that you are exporting an object selection with edges and materials rotated at 90degrees, the edges being separated from there.

Have you tried context: selection, export: polygroups and under the blender objects as obj, the 'objects' button?

those would be the obvious ones to me

J

# 5 06-02-2011 , 01:56 AM
Doesn't seem to work. I tried all thinkable combinations, but model still gets sliced into several pieces. When I import the model into ZBrush first and then transfer it to Maya with GoZ, model is fine, but character plus armor pieces are only one solid mesh.

Is there a way in Maya to select those single pieces, like "select connected" or "select islands" and then seperate them from the whole? I'm quite sure there is, but I don't know how to do yet.

user added image

PS: Any chance to dim the intensity of the wireframe somehow? These bright colors are making me sick!user added image

TDWuser added image

# 6 06-02-2011 , 01:52 PM
Finally got it working, These are the settings that worked for me. user added image

user added image

TDWuser added image

# 7 06-02-2011 , 02:10 PM
ahh excellent well thats a result

Haha yeah you can dim the colors in the preferences, theres aa whole list for different areas of the colors in Maya.

Have you tried just hitting separate first? If this doesnt work simply select a face or point on the model and go to select> grow selection, then you can use the extract command to get the piece you need. Also be aware that under the edit mesh menu set you have to make sure that 'keep faces together' is ticked otherwise you will seperate the model on a per face command and end up with lots of separate polys

J

# 8 06-02-2011 , 02:45 PM
Thx mate, everything worked like you said, plus I learned a couple of new things today, that weren't mentioned in the numberless tutorials I've watched sofar.

TDW user added image