Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-02-2018 , 05:10 PM

Skin of Morpheus turning black after successfully rendering a frame

Hello everyone,
I am running into a problem rendering a scene in Maya 2015 on Mac OS X 10.10. I have 2 characters
with 4 lights, (3 directional lights and 1 ambient light) and I am using Mental Ray. When I render 1 single
frame, with selected lights set, it renders fine. However when I start another render immediately after
the first successful render, not changing anything from the previous render, the skin texture on my characters turn solid black.
I have been working on this for 2 days in a row and there seems to be no end in sight. Please help or advise if you can.
user added imageuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-03-2018 , 04:52 PM
Looks like the solution to fix this problem lied within the texture that was associated my character. To fix the problem, I had to go into the Hypershade, and assign a different material to the geometry, it was a pink colored phong material. After that, I did a render test, and I saw it rendered the material on the skin without issue. Then, instead of using the olive texture for morpheus, I used a slightly darker texture, and associated the texture in the attribute editor to the character. I had to do this for the entire body and for both characters, and it rendered perfectly. Thanks to my instructor for helping me with this and helping me to get this animation submitted in time to meet a deadline for an internship I was applying for. Hopefully this will help someone else who ran into a similar issue.