Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-03-2011 , 08:48 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

March Challenge - Environment - elephantinc

I doubt I'll finish but stranger things have happened...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-03-2011 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
it would be strange if you actually completed stuff and then didn't complete this... user added image

i see you have a face on the scoreboard there

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 02-03-2011 , 10:11 PM
EduSciVis-er
It would be strange if it didn't pertain to elephants. user added image

# 4 03-03-2011 , 10:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
I swear, if you win I'm changing the prize to the art of Elephantsuser added image

Best of luck.
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 03-03-2011 , 10:15 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

I swear, if you win I'm changing the prize to the art of Elephantsuser added image

Best of luck.
Dave

Wait, art of elephants?!
Does this exist? If so why did nobody tell me?! user added image

# 6 04-03-2011 , 04:58 AM
im keeping my eye on this, Keep up the good work Elephant user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 7 04-03-2011 , 09:48 PM
Pls make a zoo user added image / with elephants /

# 8 04-03-2011 , 09:53 PM
Lifetime Member
If I dont see an elephant now....I will be emotionally crushed and my lofty view of you and your pachyderm love will be forever tarnished...because I would think it was all just a figment of my imagination. LOL

Good luck mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 04-03-2011 , 10:51 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I filled in the face, I modelled the lights off fairground rides, just because I like fairground rides.
Don't worry, it will be populated with elephants soon enough.

A zoo's tempting but I think I'd rather make one in the wild....

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 04-03-2011 , 11:09 PM
The thin red line
Gladiator elephants yes I could watch that..........LOL......dave

# 11 07-03-2011 , 12:10 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I made floodlights. Took much longer that it should have because I even modelled the inside of the LEDs (which I then had to delete as it was too taxing). I'll probably have to delete all the LEDs and just use a texture or something.
Is there a way to hide objects but then display them automatically at render time?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the environment. I thought about a modern stadium, a roman colosseum, a cave, in the middle of an ocean or maybe just floating in the sky. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 07-03-2011 , 01:15 AM
Looking really good so far.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 13 07-03-2011 , 05:02 AM
Subscriber
A modern stadium would be ok... but I think they are probably generally quite boring to look at, and elephants fighting kind of seems like it needs something more. (based on what I saw when I google image searched 'stadium' there weren't many interesting looking things. they were mostly standard and boring)

A Roman Colosseum wouldn't suit elephants unless they were standing up like your indiana jones elephant but in roman armour

A cave could possibly work, but why a giant arena is in a cave for I don't know. Unless you plan on digging out the cave to look like a modern stadium or something it kind of seems like an underground scene where elephants illegally fight each other

When you say sky I imagine the Skyworld level in smash brothers brawl and the elephants would fall to their doom when they fall off...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 14 07-03-2011 , 06:37 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

A modern stadium would be ok... but I think they are probably generally quite boring to look at, and elephants fighting kind of seems like it needs something more. (based on what I saw when I google image searched 'stadium' there weren't many interesting looking things. they were mostly standard and boring)

A Roman Colosseum wouldn't suit elephants unless they were standing up like your indiana jones elephant but in roman armour

A cave could possibly work, but why a giant arena is in a cave for I don't know. Unless you plan on digging out the cave to look like a modern stadium or something it kind of seems like an underground scene where elephants illegally fight each other

When you say sky I imagine the Skyworld level in smash brothers brawl and the elephants would fall to their doom when they fall off...

I think I'd agree with the modern stadium, I definitely want to do something more original, I just don't know what.

Elephants did fight in the roman colosseums for a while but they stopped it because people didn't like seeing the elephants get hurt (that and the fact that they were pitted against 100+ people, so I'm guessing the supply ran out).

If we start questioning why this is happening it all falls apart. Why would elephants build an arena anyway? user added image

Point taken about the sky...that would be a very bad thing...

That takes me back to square one. I know I want it to be quite dark, with the focus being on the (lit) arena; but that could be achieved just by setting it at night where ever it is...

Maybe in a canyon/desert or ocean....

Last edited by elephantinc; 07-03-2011 at 07:02 PM.
# 15 07-03-2011 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
make it raining at night as well user added image
unless it's a happy dark that you're after.