Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-09-2006 , 01:02 AM

Head (I'm trying for female shape)

These are some images from a project I started working on 4 days ago. It's my fourth human head. It looks wrong to me at some parts. So I thought I'd ask for critique from some other artists. :attn: I love forums.

user added image

This is the wire... I know its not perfect, please help me... :headbang:

user added image

I just realized other angles might be useful. I'll see if I don't post some up later.

user added image

Anyway, any comments or critiques you all can give me I'd appreciate. Thanks!

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 2 23-09-2006 , 01:38 AM
Its a very dense mesh you've got there.

Could you show a low resolution version as it would help in seeing any probs and giving advice.

Cheers

# 3 23-09-2006 , 01:50 AM
Here are some low resolution wires

user added image

user added image

# 4 23-09-2006 , 04:25 AM
I think you should work on the basics of the mesh, getting some nice smooth edge loops and flowing geomertry etc then go onto detailing the model.

I'm no expert as i'm just creating my first head, its in the WIP thread if you want to have a look.

One other thig is to gather lots of reference pictures for the facial shape and then the details.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

# 5 23-09-2006 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Dockode,

I'm having a bash at my first real head too, as gster so rightly pointed out referance pics are a must, you'll find it practically impossible to get it right without them.

Later,

Mat.

# 6 23-09-2006 , 09:38 AM
well... I've gone through and made some changes to several parts of the head. Still no ears, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Here are some more wires to give you an idea of where it's going.

user added image

user added image

I appreciate the comments so far, please keep them comming.

I haven't used a reference image at all yet. I'm sure that's why it's not very good looking, but I want to try and build a face from my imagination. Think of it as an exercise in creativity.

If I absolutely need it I'll get some reference though. Anyway, further comments especially about problem areas are apreciated. (I.E. are the eyes too big, are the lips too large, etc.) Thanks.

# 7 23-09-2006 , 10:09 AM
I really think that some reference images would do you good, also the geometry looks a bit messey and could be cleaned up.

Have a look at wirefames that Jay and Valdimerjp have done for guidence asthey are very clean and show great flow.

Good Luck

# 8 23-09-2006 , 01:52 PM
Here is another update on the mesh.

user added image

I am no good at modelling ears it turns out (spent 1 hour trying to model and attach an ear and while it seemed okay it hurt the overall appearance of the model to me). So I think that I'm going to have to do a few studies on how to model ears.

Anywho, I was hoping that I could get some critisism on the current mesh? Does anyone see anything that could be improved, removed, moved, or changed in some way?

I'm not feeling a lot of enthusiasm for this particular project anymore and may just consider it a sketch. I think I might move on to another project soon.

Thanks again.

# 9 23-09-2006 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
Please, please, please for your own sake use a reference picture. I am very surprised that it is at this level without one. As for the mesh it looks good. The only thing that bothers me is that the eyes might be a bit too big.
It's lookin good though

Remember, use reference pictures. user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 10 23-09-2006 , 06:24 PM

female head

i have said it before but just one more time i am extreamly new to 3d but as far as i am aware girls still have skulls not to be harsh but i guess it harps on from the previous crit basic features are good though nose is nice as are lips again i say i cant speak for the mesh as this is all still to new with me hopefully i will have some work of my own up soon and will get a little more understanding their ... ref. "PAUL RICHER anatomy" it is the best text around tho perhaps a little heavy

# 11 23-09-2006 , 08:18 PM
A little side note: I'm not trying to knock the use of references here because I certainly realize the importance of using references when appropriate. I must however emphasize the fact that I'm attempting to do this from my imagination. Just like if I were drawing. It's an exercise to improve my modelling skills from scratch and an exercise in creativity.

Unless this model gets to the point where I can't improve it any further without some kind of reference image I don't plan to use reference. I want to do as much as I can from my own memory of shape and form.

Anywho, again thank you all for your comments. I do agree with you Some Guy, in that the eyes do seem large. I attempted to fix that and here is the result. I also made some other modifications. Let me know what you all think about this version.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 23-09-2006 , 08:22 PM
Acid44
looks kinda likke somethin youd see in a sims game (just my opinion) but its alot better than what i can do

# 13 23-09-2006 , 08:23 PM
Here is another quick shot...

Also bruce do you mean that her skull isn't large enough? I wasn't sure what you meant.

Attached Images

# 14 23-09-2006 , 09:55 PM

to extend on my previous wild claims

i most certainly did not mean to offend , let me articulate what i ment then, not in terms of mary's face but in terms of all faces the uper jaw scale is pritty much universal i hope you dont mind but i scribbled on the png from the site forgivr the hand but only had paint on hand as at work

Attached Images
# 15 23-09-2006 , 11:29 PM
As I said previously you could do with cleaning up the mesh as there seems to be a few "odd" polygons around the mouth area.