Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-10-2007 , 07:38 PM
Jr.Who

Leopard impressions!

Hey guys,

Mac OS X Leopard came out about a week ago, so I've had plenty of time to mess around with it. I did have some problems updating it, but nothing too big.

On my dad's MacBook he had to erase the HD (we still don't know why that happened). On my G5, I just decided to go with the clean install (which erases your HD and installs it. Some people were preferring it over the upgrade, which just updates the operating system). So I had to clone my HD (which took 7 hours :shakehead ), then install it. After a couple days, and many toying hours of pain with the Migration Assistant, I finally got everything back over.

I'm still angry that Migration Assistant is pretty much broken, but at least I didn't lose any important data.

The Pros:
One of the first things I noticed was the amazing speed of Leopard. Almost everything seems to be running faster. Spotlight runs much better than before and is finally integrated within the Finder. This surprises me even more, since this is just the initial release of it. After a couple of updates, I can't imagine how much faster it will be.

There's one thing that Mac users adore more than any other computer user. The eye candy. All I need to say is 2 things: the 3D dock and Cover Flow in the Finder. Who doesn't LOVE reflections?! I really like the new 512 x 512 icons, which look amazingly sharp. There are also a bunch of other little things, like the semitransparent menu bar, the way windows look now (with the new shadows), etc.

Spaces helps a lot for multi-taskers. A good example would be having Maya in one Space, then a tutorial in another.

Quick look is as fast as they say it is. I used it on an 80 MB pdf and it opened immediently.

Mail is extremely speedy and has plenty of new features. I use several RSS feeds, which makes it easier to view stuff, instead of going to websites and looking at it there. I also use the Notes and To Dos a lot, which are really handy, with options like priority and due dates.

Having never backed up my HD, Time Machine is neat, and the day after it finished backing up my HD, I got a chance to use it.

The Cons:
Not every developer has made new 512 x 512 icons for their apps *coughAdobeandAutodeskcough*, so they look ugly in Cover Flow. Time machine runs laggy in Cover Flow, but it's probably just my computer.

I don't know what it is with the Finder, but it doesn't want to remember how I set it up. If you Google "Spacial Finder" you'll see what I mean.

Stacks are a pretty cool feature, but when using the grid mode, it goes slow. Sometimes, they can pop off the screen (you can just use your keyboard to get around this, but it's still annoying)

There are still plenty of bugs (being the initial release), but you get used to them/find ways to get around them.

What about Maya?
Maya seems to run faster, and I haven't found any problems with it so far (except for it not having any 512 x 512 icons…).

For the most part, I'm pretty happy. After they release a couple of updates, it should be running perfectly.

I'll probably come up with more stuff to say about it, but for now my fingers are getting tired. Does anyone have any questions about it?

Does anyone else here have Leopard?

-Jr.Who
user added image

# 2 30-10-2007 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
I personally don't, but I know a couple of peeps who do have one and everything seems fine and dandy so far, looks good for the world of mac and maya!!

Chris

# 3 31-10-2007 , 10:09 AM
Jr.Who
One of the biggest problems I've had so far was with one of my apps not working very well with Spaces. I don't know what happened, but it made my Maya window disappear. I relaunched Maya, and I lost a big part of my work. Fortunately I had a Time Machine backup, so I only lost a half an hour of work.

It seems like Leopard had a better release than Vista and I'm not having as many problems as those guys did.

# 4 31-10-2007 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber
Hi there,

I don't have leopard... yet but if it proves itself I might get it in a while. One thing, (and in that respect I'm probably not the mac user by definition) is it possible to turn all that reflection and transparency crap off? I like my desktop simple and clean and no matter what they say that it's faster etc, all these effects must suck on memory performance etc somehow.
I've had a quick look at it in the apple store, and couldn't find the "restore old look button"
Apart from that, time machine sounds great, but I've read that there'S the first virus for it already, that doesn't sound too promising.

thanks for sharing your info by the way... user added image

www.animateme.me.uk
# 5 31-10-2007 , 12:09 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by farbtopf
Hi there,

I don't have leopard... yet but if it proves itself I might get it in a while. One thing, (and in that respect I'm probably not the mac user by definition) is it possible to turn all that reflection and transparency crap off? I like my desktop simple and clean and no matter what they say that it's faster etc, all these effects must suck on memory performance etc somehow.
I've had a quick look at it in the apple store, and couldn't find the "restore old look button"
Apart from that, time machine sounds great, but I've read that there'S the first virus for it already, that doesn't sound too promising.

thanks for sharing your info by the way... user added image

I think there's a script somewhere to turn the reflections on the dock off, but when I saw my apps on it, I didn't care to look into turning it off. user added image

Do you mean this virus?
https://www.intego.com/news/ism0705.asp

# 6 31-10-2007 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
yep, that's the one

www.animateme.me.uk
# 7 31-10-2007 , 12:42 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by farbtopf
yep, that's the one

lol, it's like the first one we've had all year. It's not that big anyway, and it's been taken care of. Here's a cool blog (also makes for a great RSS feed in Leopard's mail):
https://blog.intego.com/

BTW, make sure you uncheck "Open “Safe” files after downloading" in Safari’s General preferences, if you have it checked.

# 8 31-10-2007 , 02:36 PM
Currently, Leopard is making Vista roll over and die. Apple's looking to run the pc world which they should've a long time ago when DOS came out. :eeek2:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 9 31-10-2007 , 04:08 PM
Jr.Who

# 10 31-10-2007 , 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I think Apple just released an update to QT that fixes that virus:

Apple has viruses? Well at least they get them dealt with unlike microsoft.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 11 31-10-2007 , 04:56 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
Apple has viruses? Well at least they get them dealt with unlike microsoft.

Like I said in the post above, I think it's the first virus I've seen this year. I think the last one we had was back in Feb '06. :lmao:

# 12 31-10-2007 , 07:09 PM
Yeah Macs get viruses, or what did apple used to call them?? Oh OS glitches, although not where near as many as PC's, mainly due to the peeps making PC viruses have a beef with MS, or can exploit more people with spyware, as I think macs only have about a 10% share.

Glad your enjoying it Jr Who, I thought of going to a mac for a bit, last year but, well didnt.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 31-10-2007 , 07:24 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
as I think macs only have about a 10% share.

Glad your enjoying it Jr Who, I thought of going to a mac for a bit, last year but, well didnt.

I think it's up to 8%, which has pretty much quadrupled from a couple of years ago.

Did you have any reasons for not switching over?

# 14 31-10-2007 , 07:32 PM
At the end of the day I was looking for a laptop, the Macbook pro was less spec (by quite a long way in the graphics) and more cash compared to the equivilent PC, I got a Dell XPS M1710 in the end.

I also worked with apples and didnt really get along with the OS and found them to be quite a bit crashey (could have just been the ones I used) when compared to a PC, and a lot of the softwares I use for my PHD are PC only, I know I could have ran windows under bootcamp but that would have cost me £££ for the OS and kinda defeated the object of getting a MAC.

When I worked for apple they used to quote 10% share, might be the uk market though

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 31-10-2007 , 07:44 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
I also worked with apples and didnt really get along with the OS and found them to be quite a bit crashey (could have just been the ones I used) when compared to a PC

How long ago did this happen? user added image