Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-06-2008 , 03:16 AM
Jr.Who

Need some crit - Ferrari

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted something, as I've been busy with some other things. Anyway, since the delay of my last project, I started another one. I've already asked some of my car friends, and they said it looked really good, even on parts that I thought weren't good.

I just need it to go through my 3D friends, as I was too busy to post up a W.I.P. thread.

Pic 1
Pic 2
HD Pic 1
HD Pic 2

Thanks,
Steven
user added image

Last edited by Jr.Who; 23-06-2008 at 04:46 AM.
# 2 23-06-2008 , 04:43 AM
Great model. The texture needs some work. The metallic / fishscale carpaint texture is too large and should be scaled down a bit. Right now the car looks like it would be matchbox car size.

# 3 23-06-2008 , 05:04 AM
good model, but as i told you, it needs:

-Better lighting (no uffizi or HDR, use some area lights in this biznitch)

-someone getting out of it, and accidentally showing their vajayjay :p

-the emblems added

-The very front of the hood looks weird...

-the blacks are too black (on the car :p)

-it looks like its floating around in some weird gray room... not on the ground...

-Also, the tires shouldn't be a perfect circle. they have alot of pressure on them, so make the bottom a bit flat. a little will go a long way. Linky link

and thats all i can think of,
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 23-06-2008 at 05:19 AM.
# 4 23-06-2008 , 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
The model looks good but those reflections look like they're about to jump up and kick me in the mouth, and the floor's color is so close to the car's so I can see why Joopson said it looks like the car is just floating in some weird gray room, the super sharp shadow adds to that I guess. And yeah the tires are a little dark and a bit too matte. All in all I think the only thing taking away from your work are the shaders and lighting.

- Genny
# 5 23-06-2008 , 08:29 AM
hey a good way to get rid of that floating feeling is flatten out the bottom of the tyre a little look at your own car it isnt completely rounded at the bottom this shows weight.

# 6 23-06-2008 , 08:32 AM
just one more thing your edge loops going down the back of the car in pic 2 comes out a little on the model it might be the lighting or you edges are to close to one another on the smooth but as i said it could just be the lighting if u want o take a look its right in the middle of the boot and rear of the car

# 7 23-06-2008 , 10:51 AM
As with what other people have said, the shader needs some work, have you got a sampler info node on there for the fresnell?

The wheels look a bit simplistic and could do with a more detials, bolt holes, bit of beveling etc, some tread on the tyres.

The top corners of the windscreen look a bit "rounded" not too sure if thats what the actual car looks like bit just seems a bit odd.

Also shouldent there be something to sepperate the fornt windows from the back?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 23-06-2008 , 11:08 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
generally good but the wheels need more detail
and the texture needs improving

better than anything i could ever do though

# 9 23-06-2008 , 06:46 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by onyx86
Great model. The texture needs some work. The metallic / fishscale carpaint texture is too large and should be scaled down a bit. Right now the car looks like it would be matchbox car size.

Yeah, I thought so at first, but other people said it looked fine. But now they're saying it looks too big. People… lol.

Originally posted by Joopson
good model, but as i told you, it needs:

-Better lighting (no uffizi or HDR, use some area lights in this biznitch)

-the emblems added

-The very front of the hood looks weird...

-the blacks are too black (on the car :p)

-it looks like its floating around in some weird gray room... not on the ground...

-Also, the tires shouldn't be a perfect circle. they have alot of pressure on them, so make the bottom a bit flat. a little will go a long way. Linky link

and thats all i can think of,
-Andy

I told you Andy, I used a bunch of different HDRs, and the uffizi is the best one. I did kinda like the area lights, but they caused too many issues, and made my render times too long. I would love to add the emblems, but they'd be a pain to do. Could you get into PS and point out the area where the hood looks weird?

Yeah, I'll mess around with the tire color and see if I can get it to look good at a lighter color. As for the tires being perfectly round… does that happen with brand new tires too? I'll try to flatten out the bottom a little, but I don't know how it'll turn out.

Originally posted by GecT
The model looks good but those reflections look like they're about to jump up and kick me in the mouth, and the floor's color is so close to the car's so I can see why Joopson said it looks like the car is just floating in some weird gray room, the super sharp shadow adds to that I guess.

OK, I'll turn down the HDR and see how it looks. As for the ground color, what else would look good for it?

Originally posted by anasasis
just one more thing your edge loops going down the back of the car in pic 2 comes out a little on the model it might be the lighting or you edges are to close to one another on the smooth but as i said it could just be the lighting if u want o take a look its right in the middle of the boot and rear of the car

I think I know what you mean. The tutor didn't even put an edge loop in the back (there's like 2-3 of them in there), so his looks way off. I originally put the extra one in, but it made it look a little weird. I'll try it again and see if I can fix it.

Originally posted by gster123
As with what other people have said, the shader needs some work, have you got a sampler info node on there for the fresnell?

The wheels look a bit simplistic and could do with a more detials, bolt holes, bit of beveling etc, some tread on the tyres.

The top corners of the windscreen look a bit "rounded" not too sure if thats what the actual car looks like bit just seems a bit odd.

Also shouldent there be something to sepperate the fornt windows from the back?

Hmm… I didn't mess with that, as I thought the mr car paint shader would have done that by itself. I'll look into it.

I do have treads on the tires. And those corners are supposed to be that rounded. There's supposed to be something there to separate them, but the tutor never went over them. I've looked at how the real ones look, and they'd be a pain to add.

Well, I'll get to work on this right away. I should have the new pics up before 3 PM CST. The HD ones take about an hour to render a piece. :zzz:

# 10 23-06-2008 , 08:31 PM
New tyres do that too, its to do with the PSI in them not the "newness".

Dunno about the MR shader, I never use them (or only very rarely) I would probably use a 2 blinns with a Mix 20 layer on it, just what I would prefer. Even if the MR shader has it you'll need to tune it to your material and how you want it to look.

I would be tempted to render it in a studio style set up, have a look at younglions car in the WIP, he put some set ups there that gives soem awesome results (down worry about the render times, its the quality you want at the end of the day)

Pain to add bits to the model eh?? Thats modeling some thing realistic for ya! The devil's in the detials and there the bits that really sell the model.

I think you've got the skills form the tuts you've done to have a crack at redoing the wheels and sorting out detials on the body etc etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 23-06-2008 , 08:45 PM
ok, heres what i meant about the hood looking pinched:

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 12 23-06-2008 , 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jr.Who

OK, I'll turn down the HDR and see how it looks. As for the ground color, what else would look good for it?

I think you can stick with the cool gray just maybe make it a tad darker to make the car stand out some. Just my opinion.

- Genny
# 13 23-06-2008 , 10:39 PM
a think a tiled "showroom" floor would fit pretty good.

www.joopson.com
# 14 23-06-2008 , 11:02 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
New tyres do that too, its to do with the PSI in them not the "newness".

I would be tempted to render it in a studio style set up, have a look at younglions car in the WIP, he put some set ups there that gives soem awesome results (down worry about the render times, its the quality you want at the end of the day)

Pain to add bits to the model eh?? Thats modeling some thing realistic for ya! The devil's in the detials and there the bits that really sell the model.

I think you've got the skills form the tuts you've done to have a crack at redoing the wheels and sorting out detials on the body etc etc.

Yeah, I've added a tad bit of that flatness to it. I would love to make a light setup like that, but my computer's going really slow. The lighting setup I have right now is bogging it down, and it's pretty simple.

Yeah, I'm about done with modeling on this project. I've been busy lately, which has slowed down my work. The tutor decided to make a ton of mistakes, which made it hard for me, but I still got around to it. I'm really just waiting for ZB3 (or ZB4…) to come out for Mac, because I have so many ideas of things that I'd want to do in ZB, that couldn't be done in Maya.

It kinda gets depressing sitting around waiting for something and not getting any news on it…

ok, heres what i meant about the hood looking pinched:

Woah, thanks for pointing that out. Could be because it's going to an edge… I don't know. The topology isn't pinching there, so it's not the geometry that's messing it up.

a think a tiled "showroom" floor would fit pretty good.

What color? Or do you know of any good images for it? I like how the idea sounds. I'm kinda getting sick of the gray background, to tell you the truth.

BTW, I've been tinkering a lot with rendering, which has been taking forever, so don't expect some images for a couple of hours… user added image

# 15 24-06-2008 , 02:23 AM
Jr.Who
OK, I've fixed the flakes, flattened out the bottom of the tire a little, bumped up the displacement map on the tire, fixed the edge loop in the back, and put a new material on the tire (which makes it look a little newer).

Here's some of the updated pics:

Pic 1
Pic 2
HD Pic 1
HD Pic 2

You can still access the old ones with the links above, so you can compare.

EDIT: Second HD pic is up.

Last edited by Jr.Who; 24-06-2008 at 03:40 AM.