View Poll Results: Do you feel this website is something you would find useful and would consider becomi
Yes 2 28.57%
No 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-01-2009 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber

New 3D Tutorial Website In Development

Hello All!

I am posting this poll as a means of research for a website I am considering. It is in the early stages of development and this poll is part of the due diligence process. I was exposed to the CG world in 2006, and ever since then I have become a 3d modeling junky. I love modeling and I love watching the progress of other modelers as they post their WIPs and finished projects. I have gained a lot of knowledge through the help of some great tutorials and websites.

Because the CG community has been a great source of learning for me, I felt it was time for me to give back to the community and help other CG artist learn and grow, so I am considering starting a 3d tutorial website. There are some excellent websites already out there that offer tutorials for its members. Just to name a few, 3D-Palace, Gnomon Workshop, Foundation3D, Digital Tutors, 3D Buzz, Simply Maya/Lightwave/Max, Cinneversity, Blender Underground, and many others. These websites I have used and have learned much from. But I believe my website will be different than others. I am going to commission CG artist from the community to produce project-based video tutorials that all artists can follow and learn. I am going to use as many of the 3d software programs I can to ensure I touch as many users as possible, such as the following programs:

-3ds Max -Maya -Lightwave -Cinema 4D
-XSI -Houdini -Modo -Blender
-Rhino -Carrera Pro -Hexagon -Swift3D
-AliasStudio -trueSpace -Silo -Wings3D

I am going to have challenges and giveaways where members will be awarded prizes, and many of these prizes will come from the websites mentioned above. And if all goes well, I hope to develop a scholarship fund that will help aspiring artist go to college or trade school.

Of course none of this will be possible if I do not have your support, and that support can be offered by signing up for either a standard or a premiere membership. The difference in the two, premiere membership will cost between $10 and $15 per month and will offer total access to all tutorials, forum, and other materials, while the standard membership is free and only offers access to the forum and free items.

Your help is needed to determine whether this website would be beneficial to the community. Therefore, I ask you to please review the above and answer the poll question below. Any other comments, suggestions, or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Do you feel this website is something you would find useful and would consider becoming a member?

# 2 20-01-2009 , 05:42 PM
The Nurb Herd

Re: New 3D Tutorial Website In Development

Originally posted by keithd203

...to name a few, 3D-Palace, Gnomon Workshop, Foundation3D, Digital Tutors, 3D Buzz, Simply Maya/Lightwave/Max, Cinneversity, Blender Underground, and many others...

...Do you feel this website is something you would find useful and would consider becoming a member?

maybe... but like you say, there are lots of sites already. what exactly would your site offer thats different from this, or any other site?

# 3 20-01-2009 , 08:06 PM
As hammer.horror and yourself have mentioned, there are already lots of sites of this sort... Why create a separate community when you can join an existing one and make it bigger?
Try contacting admins in various sites about selling your work there...
If you've got something to offer I believe it is a reasonable request. That way you won't have to build a forum and a website up from the ground.
Just an idea...
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 4 20-01-2009 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
I think its a good idea.
(ive just been watching the inauguration so prepare yourselfves)

If you feel you have something different to offer and you have the ability to get it done there shouldnt be any problems with it.
Just because there are other 3d websites dosn't mean you cant create one.

Thatd be like someone saying "im not going to create a new BLANK, there are already countless BLANKS around."
If your Blank can offer something new and interesting just go for it.

I dont see the point of joining another community and offering your services. From the sounds of it you are commisioning other people to make your tutorials, rather than making them yourself and thats something other websites could be doing already.

I would be carefull about overloading yourself though. Start smaller by only focusing on the mainstream 3d programs like 3DS, MAYA, XSI and Zbrush. Once you have a good foundation to work from then start adding in all the extras.

So to conclude! As long as you can create a professional site that people want to use, that offers something different to the community, i see no problem with just going for it.
Thanks for listning user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 5 20-01-2009 , 11:08 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Some Guy

If your Blank can offer something new and interesting just go for it.

That's what i was asking, what has his blank got that's new and interesting?

# 6 20-01-2009 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
what innovations will you implement? why do we want them?

what flaws on other websites will you improve on?

so far you haven't mentioned anything that hasn't been done before

again: what innovations will you implement?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 21-01-2009 , 08:07 AM
As you said theres already lots of established sites out there, the main question that I think your asking is "Is there room for another".

Personally I think the answer is "possibly", BUT, and its a big BUT, you'll have to have a really good USP to get people in there.

Its not personally something that I would use, unless it grabs me in with something that I may want, and with a $10 -$15 per month that would be a big no no for me. If I do want a tutorial I generally just want that one not to sign up for others that I wouldnt need/use.

Also the model of having a subscription to me's a bad idea, people could join up, get everything from your site and then quit after a month, you get $10-$15 for what maybe cost you, what if its 3 tutorials about $200 or so??? To keep it going your going to need a good quality tutorial that pushes peoples buttons every week to keep them interested.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 21-01-2009 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
As other have said there are aother websites that give outstanding training, although if the site starts out FREE you want it to stay FREE not like www.3dbuzz.com

The sharing of knowledge is a good thing but for people like myself who are not involved in the industry and just do it part time as a hobby cost is a driver. The best site for training so far IMHO is ************************, although this is part pay and part free you should not try and make money out of it, just enough to cover the costs would be enough.

Mithandra

# 9 21-01-2009 , 05:29 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123

Its not personally something that I would use, unless it grabs me in with something that I may want, and with a $10 -$15 per month that would be a big no no for me. If I do want a tutorial I generally just want that one not to sign up for others that I wouldnt need/use.

Also the model of having a subscription to me's a bad idea, people could join up, get everything from your site and then quit after a month, you get $10-$15 for what maybe cost you, what if its 3 tutorials about $200 or so??? To keep it going your going to need a good quality tutorial that pushes peoples buttons every week to keep them interested.

I couldn't agree more

# 10 21-01-2009 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mithandra
As other have said there are aother websites that give outstanding training, although if the site starts out FREE you want it to stay FREE not like www.3dbuzz.com

it sounds like you think he started charging to make a profit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Buzz

The site went through various stages of development. When it became too costly to mail out the disc's, Busby introduced downloading. However, corporate sponsors started shying away from his website. In order to finance the download system to fully replace the mailing system, 3D Buzz appealed to its members, offering a new program entitled "Member Sponsors". Member sponsors ended up being a dedicated team, pledging $35 a month to support the download system. In order to thank them, Jason Busby provided them with a handful of exclusive content, and also content that 3D Buzz produced for other sources such as 3D World Magazine

i take it you never seen this. the link appears in google on the first page when you google 'buzz 3d'

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D