Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-10-2011 , 01:52 AM
EduSciVis-er

Stwert's 2D Biomedical stuff

Well here's my first "finished" piece for the biomedical communications program (read: biologically accurate art) I'm doing. 90% of my waking hours feels like I'm learning anatomy and embryology, but some of the rest of the time is learning illustration techniques, like for textbooks etc. More info on my blog: biocinematics.com. Hope you enjoy it.

user added image

I know there's a dedicated 2D thread, but I didn't feel like putting it there. user added image

Edit: pen and ink added for Forum view.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by stwert; 17-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.
# 2 23-10-2011 , 10:19 PM
The thin red line
I think you have posted in the wrong forum we do not know if this is good or bad, sorry if that sound negative but its true.............dave

# 3 23-10-2011 , 10:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well I couldn't find any medical illustration forums... no seriously, I just thought people might be interested in what I was doing since I haven't had much time for Maya these days.

# 4 23-10-2011 , 11:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
I like it, why didn't you do it in 3D tho? your blog wasn't working btw.

# 5 23-10-2011 , 11:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks Dom. The assignment was to use carbon dust (ten points if you already knew what that is). What's wrong with the blog? Next up is pen and ink... then Illustrator in Nov/Dec (slowly working towards 3D).

# 6 24-10-2011 , 12:29 AM
Administrator
Where's the color? You've painted what is one of the most important structures for med students to get, and you made it black and white to begin with? I like it as a drawing, but it looks like one of those god awful grey's anatomy refs. Maybe it was the assignment, but add some color to vascular structures and something to differentiate organs and vessels, just darker for b&w, or medical students will hate your guts.

# 7 24-10-2011 , 12:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, it was the assignment... carbon typically comes in black. Yes, color would add a lot to differentiating bile ducts from arteries and veins. No, med students probably won't learn from this image. Yes, med students use a lot of black and white images and I haven't heard too many complaints. In fact I think it's us medical + artistic types that actually appreciate a good colored atlas.

Thanks for the feedback though, I'll think about adding some color, though as I say, the assignment was just carbon.

# 8 24-10-2011 , 12:56 AM
Administrator
haha yes, carbon tends to be within the grey scale and I know I sound like the devil user added image I just know that med students buy books specifically based on the drawings, we had a very popular book in Czech that was popular just because of the drawings even though no one could make out the words, and personally I think your drawing would pop a lot more with some coloring (or darkening in grey) of the vessels. Anatomy is such a difficult field to grasp though. How's school going anyway? Are you enjoying it? I just had a look at your blog and read embryology which made me feel slightly ill user added image

# 9 24-10-2011 , 01:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, definitely once we get into the digital media, it'll almost all be color. Although, as I'm thinking about it, when students learn (and are tested) using cadavers, the luxury of color isn't an option. The arteries aren't red and the veins aren't blue. Anyway, I guess that's why a quality atlas is worth it that much more. I got Netter, cause I love his artwork. Simply gorgeous. (netterimages.com)

But yeah, school's tough. I am enjoying it. I don't think I've learned this much in such a short span of time, maybe ever. Embryology is pretty fascinating, although I'll be glad when it's done (Tuesday). So it'll be great once I've learned it all and I can spend more time on the computer applying it user added image.

# 10 24-10-2011 , 03:39 AM
Administrator
Glad you're having a good time.

# 11 17-11-2011 , 06:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sagittal section of head in pen and ink...

user added image

Starting some illustrator these days, so getting incrementally closer to 3D.

Labelled version on my blog: biocinematics.com

# 12 18-11-2011 , 05:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
Don't know what's wrong with the imageshack link... anyway, the pen and ink was added to the first post.