Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-11-2005 , 07:09 PM

Constraints don't work

I have two cloth objects, a shirt and pocket. I select the verts on the pocket, shift-select the shirt, then Constraints->Cloth. Nothing. No error message. There is a constraint node, but no little square icons in the display. play and pocket falls to the ground. This is driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong?

-actually, mesh constraints don't work either, for shirt or pocket.
Shirt and pocket were both imported 3ds files that I used "Create Cloth Object" on, if it matters. (3dsImport.mll from bonus tools)

-also, I have pants in the same scene that have constraints and work fine.

# 2 19-11-2005 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
post file for me so I can look at it

# 3 19-11-2005 , 05:27 PM
here ya go. This is a simple version of my problem.
...in the scene, blue cloth and green cloth won't constrain to each other or red collision object.

Attached Files
File Type: ma clothb.ma (82.2 KB, 217 views)
# 4 21-11-2005 , 04:53 PM
ok... here's what the problem was. My imported .3ds mesh's don't have UV maps. Got to apply UV's before converting to cloth object. Thanks to drBlacksnake at Highend3d for figuring this one out for me.

# 5 21-11-2005 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
yeah, sorry I didn't get back to you on this, I looked at it and wondered why I wasn't seeing anything....