Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-06-2006 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber

mental ray question

Hi.

I am in the rendering stage of this car using mental ray and illuminated with a dome shaded with an hdri image and I've played around with a variety of settings, but I am having no luck getting rid of the disco ball effect that is happening, (the visible spots). I've increased final gather rays significantly, played with refraction blur of the hdri shader, played with the min/max samples in anti-aliasling. None of these seem to be making any effect, Does anyone know what I need to tweak to get rid of the spots?

Thanks much!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-06-2006 , 02:08 AM
you need for the HDRI to emit lots of more photons. Try 100,000 or even 500,000.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 06-06-2006 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
Hi Matt.

Thanks for your reply.

That makes sense, however (next question)-

where do you increase those photons?

With a normal light source, the photon count is adjusted in mental ray tab, but this is lambert shader with it's ambient connected to the hdri image. Under the mental ray tab for the lambert, I see nowhere to increase the photon count.

Thanks.