Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 20-11-2010 , 10:46 PM
The thin red line
I think hammer still needs the go ahead from ctbram bullet this is his baby.............dave

# 17 20-11-2010 , 10:50 PM
Lifetime Member
ha ha it was just an oath of support mate...Im sure ct will be all for it to apply it to his arc gun....he isnt looking forward to PS with that...I know how he feels....texturing isnt easy. We would be able to glean info from hammer, if he is ok with it?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 20-11-2010 , 11:18 PM
I did not spend any time cleaning the model up hammer. Normally I UV my stuff and clean it up before posting it.

The handles will be where a lot of stuff is kinda wonky. I had to add thickness and since maya only has extrude it creates a lot of garbage where there are tight corners. There are lots of faces that can be deleted.

I spent some time making it look okay for the render but it is far from my normal standard.

That would make a good texturing project though as it is not overly complex and does not have a lot of complicated parts.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 21-11-2010 at 12:22 PM.
# 19 21-11-2010 , 11:29 AM
The Nurb Herd
hey no problem. i'll model something that we can use. It probably wont be great tho.

# 20 21-11-2010 , 12:05 PM
feel free to use my model. I made it to be shared and it will save you a lot of modeling time.

All my stuff I publish links to is public domain and meant to be helpful to the 3d community. I am not a pro by any stretch but like to share what I can.

If you will UV it, that would be great, as I can focus on finishing the Tesla rifle.

When you paint it please take some snapshot as you paint and share some tips along the way. I really want to learn more about texture painting hard surface stuff so anything you share would be gravy for me. especially, bump, spec, normal, and distress stuff.

Cheers

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 21-11-2010 at 12:27 PM.
# 21 22-11-2010 , 06:37 AM
Administrator
Sounds like fun, nice initiative with a mini challenge. Should be fun to watch, you can make a lot of different things with that model.

# 22 22-11-2010 , 10:02 AM
The Nurb Herd
cool, i just got into work, so i will do it now.

i'll be as quick as i can... i guess i'll post it in a new thread

# 23 22-11-2010 , 02:28 PM
The Nurb Herd

# 24 22-11-2010 , 03:37 PM
Good job cleaning up that messy handle.

Looks good over all. Just missed the hinge pin for the cap it seems.

Looks good over all. Thanks!

# 25 22-11-2010 , 03:57 PM
The Nurb Herd
i've just tested a couple of things and its doesn't seem to be working well. i'll fix it up, i think the problem is the geometry resolution.

# 26 25-11-2010 , 02:46 AM
I found a small error in the geometry hammer. I redirected some geometry at the corners of the x shape and forgot to reconnect some edges.

Sorry for the error. I normally do a thorough geometry check before I post stuff but I was in a rush.

Look at the corners of the X shape there needs to be 4 edges going corner to corner to eliminate the 4 non-planer n-gons. This will have the added benefit of adding more geometry across the top and bottom which will smooth out some of the distortion at the top and bottom edges.

Also, you may want to separate the top face as that shape is really odd and trying to unify the top and side without distortion near the top is really hard, it was for me.

I have a layout that is pretty clean now but unfortunately I cannot post it.

Last edited by ctbram; 25-11-2010 at 06:54 AM.
# 27 25-11-2010 , 06:45 AM
whoops posted twice...

Last edited by ctbram; 25-11-2010 at 06:49 AM.
# 28 25-11-2010 , 07:33 PM
Okay, guys I cleaned the model up and laid out the uv's.

Here is a test render with base color and bump -

user added image user added image

Here is a link to my drop box with a rar file containing all the project files -

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5501128/jerr...ject_files.rar

Just a few interesting things I found while gathering references:

The container was designed by the Germans in 1930 in mass quantities in preparation for war (WWII). Its official German name was the "Wehrmachtkanister", it was later nicknamed by the allies the "Jerry can" as Jerry was the derogatory name the allies used for the Germans. Ironically the allies later discovered the container design was far batter then anything they were using and so they backward engineered it. By the end of the war most of the major ally forces had their own version. The Jerry can remains in use today by both the military and civilians and its design remains virtually unchanged.

Now let the texturing fun begin....

Last edited by ctbram; 26-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
# 29 25-11-2010 , 11:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Well for a bloke who doesnt PS ct it aint half bad brother

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 30 26-11-2010 , 03:51 PM
Thanks Bullet. Basic color and making logos in illustrator I can do. It's the stuff that takes talent like painting realistic distressed paint, metal, wood, etc. that I have no idea how to do and there does not seem to be any good reference material to help one learn. It's like a big industry secret that is only taught in art schools or something.

It goes beyond just PS as well. For instance I know you can use vertex painting techniques in conjunction with maya and mental ray shader nodes, and applying noise, and fractal patterns one can create maps that can be used as masks in PS or with shader networks to automate and randomize the rust and wear areas on a surface.

One can also generate a map from the ambient occlusion render between two surfaces as rust generally accumulates in the areas of shadow between parts.

Alas, the only tutorials I have seen that use the vertex and ambient occlusion mapping methods was for 3ds max and was beyond my abilities to translate into something I could use in maya.

I can tell you someone, somewhere is missing a big opportunity for training in this area. All you see are grey scale occlusion renders (if you are lucky, screen grabs if not) along with basic modeling tutorials. Occasionally you see some beautiful final fully textured and lighted renders from talented people but god only know how they learned it and they don't share!

Last edited by ctbram; 26-11-2010 at 03:59 PM.