Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-11-2002 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber

Planar Trim Surface not working

i am going nuts. i tried to close one side of a loft cylinder. so "cylinder" was open, and i tried to close it with planar trim surface. but i get holes in it user added image (see picture)

first thought: planar trim surface sucks. ok, adding another loft at the end. duplicate nurbs circle, scale down real small, and loft with the edge of cylinder. wow works. until i seen a close up render user added image i got again holes (barely noticeable though in perspective view - but clearly visible in render). this happens with nurbs, polys (of course) and bezier

second thought: nurbs, polys and bezier are not goot to make a cylinder close. redoing the loft with a subd. and then i made it. (see picture)

i did not want to do a loft, i only wanted planar trim. and subd is not available in planar trim either user added image and actually i did not want to use subd (another user added image )

anybody know any suggestions on how i can make a planar trim close perfectly w/o imitating with loft+subd?

here is a close up render (production quality, reduced to 4 colors to limit bandwidth user added image )

# 2 16-11-2002 , 11:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
You would need ti increase your nurbs tesselation. In the attributes, turn on Advanced (also called Explicit) Tesselation and adjust your Tesselation attributes.

I have to add though, that I'm not a big fan of Planar Surfaces...

# 3 16-11-2002 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You would need ti increase your nurbs tesselation. In the attributes, turn on Advanced (also called Explicit) Tesselation and adjust your Tesselation attributes.

I have to add though, that I'm not a big fan of Planar Surfaces...

nope no help, just cranked it up to max, and still holes, but thanks for the tip - i will when i have all my curves done loft them all. maybe it will be curves + subdiv modelling user added image

# 4 16-11-2002 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
Classic Newbie-Nurbs-symptoms user added image
Dont worry guys, this is as funny as I get in these forums.

Another way of skinning this end is:
1) make nurbs-curve from end-isoparm
2) cut curve in two
3) loft the two curves

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 5 16-11-2002 , 11:52 PM
The Maya Mountain
I still prefer my method of capping cylinders... user added image

# 6 16-11-2002 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by undseth
Classic Newbie-Nurbs-symptoms user added image
Dont worry guys, this is as funny as I get in these forums.

Another way of skinning this end is:
1) make nurbs-curve from end-isoparm
2) cut curve in two
3) loft the two curves

thanks, that is getting me somewhere. i am sure soon come more funny things from me user added image

# 7 16-11-2002 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I still prefer my method of capping cylinders... user added image

what you mean by that?

# 8 17-11-2002 , 12:02 AM