Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-01-2004 , 07:33 PM

Subdiv Error

How do I trouble shoot this? When I subdivide my mesh I can see it in the view window and it looks fine... but when I attempt to render it the geometry does not render and there is an error that says 'non-quadrilateral face in subdivision base mesh'. How do I find that face in the mesh so when I subdivide it will render? Thanks

Fall down seven times, get up eight...
# 2 15-01-2004 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
build your poly model base in quads only. Dont cut corners or make it easy by making 3 gons or 5 gons. the reason its not rendering is because your using mental ray. mental ray requires quadralateral surface geometry to render objects. It may seem difficul;t at first to build in only 4 sided poly but the benifits of doing so make your work more compatible in the end. for instance converting to subd for mental ray rendering or converting to nurbs with less work.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 16-01-2004 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
you can run a cleanup to make all the faces into quads, but that might possibly lead to undesirable results.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 4 16-01-2004 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
how does poly cleanup turn 5 gons into 4gons?? i dont think it can do that.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 17-01-2004 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
you can try to use the poly smooth on it.. it converts it to quads.. only problem is, is that the starting mesh for the subD will much 4x heavyer.

# 6 18-01-2004 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by iron_tick
how does poly cleanup turn 5 gons into 4gons?? i dont think it can do that.

ah yes, it actually turns them into tris (whoops).

I was thinking of subdivide and smooth, which do make quads, but a denser mesh like Pony said.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP