Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-09-2003 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber

Dragon Head tutorial

Hi,

I downloaded the Dragon Continued tutorial the other day and so far it has been great; however, I'm stuck with a problem that I can't solve.

I'm on the 3rd avi where the instructor is creating the eye. Specifically, it's when he selects the inside edges and extrudes them a couple of times, then converts the poly in sub d for further finessing. Well, when I convert, it's becomes all jacked up. Here's a link to a snap shot, hopefully it will help:

https://www.blitzdesign.net/tektips/forum.jpg

The instructor's dragon eye looks amazingly smooth, while mine is....well, it's just awful. Can anyone give me some pointers or examine what I'm doing wrong?

Your expertise is very much appreciated.

--Dan

# 2 11-09-2003 , 11:50 AM
I don't have the movie yet, but from the pictures it looks like when you extruded the parts for the eye, you continued towards the inside of the head. The example from the movie shows them making an almost zig-zag pattern: towards head for first extrude, then outwards, then inwards again to make the eye's shape.

HTH until more knowledgeable folks come along user added image

# 3 11-09-2003 , 12:32 PM
HI danielh68.... from the picture you posted it look like the vertices are not merged or have dupliacted faces. Take a look at that area and just check that all them vertices are really merged.

If they are not merge them, then have your settings to keep faces together this can be found under Polygons> tool options> keep faces together, this will help in the future keeping your extrudes always togther.

Try that... if thats not the case let me know, but from the looks of it its just a vertice problem.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 11-09-2003 at 12:37 PM.
# 4 11-09-2003 , 04:00 PM
Anyone want to add this to the modeling section in the VIP forum?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 11-09-2003 , 04:22 PM
I can't Mike, Dave or Kev has do I have not been granted the power yet =(

muhahahahhaha

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 6 11-09-2003 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone for your help.

Kurt, your suggestion about "keeping faces together" worked. The edges are no longer tweaked. In addition, I discovered that 3 on the keyboard increases the mesh....I'm a newbie so forgive the amateurish mistake. This is only my second Maya tutorial. Anyhow, I'm having a blast with this tutorial, thanks again.

I just realized when scrolling to the bottom of the forum list there's a VIP area. I should have placed this post in there...sorry. By the way, shouldn't the VIP area be on top of the forum page? It just seems unusual to have anything VIP on the bottom.

Well, your advice is much appreciated.

--Dan

# 7 11-09-2003 , 05:52 PM
Really glad you are enjoying the tut....

Kurt

# 8 11-09-2003 , 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Kurt
I can't Mike, Dave or Kev has do I have not been granted the power yet =(

muhahahahhaha

I'm sure Kev would be happy to make you a mod for the maya chat forum if yer up to it.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 9 28-09-2003 , 01:18 AM
Hi this might seem silly, i'm only a beginner sorry, but i don't understand why you don't use the "image plane" feature in maya, instead of creating a NURBS plane.

Cheers
dave

# 10 28-09-2003 , 01:34 AM
I just use nurb planes because i find them easier.. you can use image plains...