Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-12-2013 , 04:14 AM

Maya GUI?

Hello guys

I am trying to create a small GUI in maya basically what I want it to do is create a image button that will create a tree and edit its attributes.... like move the tree in any direction, change it colour etc...

I have this so far..

Code:
import maya.cmds as cmds
import maya.mel as mel

cmds.window( title='Tree Maker Version 1.0' )
cmds.columnLayout()
cmds.button(label="Create a tree", command="treeGen()")
cmds.button(label="Create a second tree", command="treeGen1()")

def treeGen():
    cmds.circle(nr =(0, 1, 0), c =(0, 0, 0))
    cmds.spaceLocator( p=(0, 0, 0) )
    cmds.select("nurbsCircle1", r=True)
    cmds.select("locator1", add=True)
    cmds.parent()
    cmds.setAttr( "nurbsCircle1.rotateX", -90)
    cmds.setAttr( "nurbsCircle1.scaleZ", .1)
    cmds.setAttr( "nurbsCircle1.scaleX", .1)
    cmds.setAttr( "nurbsCircle1.scaleY", .1)
    mel.eval('source "C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/brushes/treesMesh/oakAutumn.mel"')
    cmds.select("nurbsCircle1", r=True)
    cmds.AttachBrushToCurves()
    cmds.attrFieldSliderGrp( min=-1.0, max=3.0, at="oakAutumn1.numBranches"  )
    cmds.attrFieldSliderGrp( min=-10.0, max=10.0, at="oakAutumn1.numTwigClusters"  )
    cmds.attrFieldSliderGrp( min=-11.0, max=20.0, at="oakAutumn1.numLeafClusters"  )

cmds.showWindow()

That code is able to create a tree and edit some of its attributes. How would I be able to click the same button but creates a new tree but at a different position? Also it needs to have a function where it only allows a certain amount of trees so it cant be pressed so many times f How do I add an image to the button or make an image a button?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

# 2 10-02-2014 , 07:41 PM
Are you looking to create the trees in a random position or define where you would like to put them when the button is pressed?

If you want to limit the number of trees than you could use a "count." You can set this in the code or have it changeable in a cmds.intFeild. So when you press the button it should increase the "count" value by one.
You can establish it simply at the top:

count = 0

Then in side of the code have an if statement that checks if the count is greater than or equal to the number you want it to stop at:

Code:
if count >= <some_value>:
     print "max tree limit"
else:
     <run the rest of the code>
     count += 1
For the button image you may want to use the "symbolButton" command which will let you use the "image=" flag and you can link the image from your directory. I hope some of this helps. Let me know about the placement and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by Theatis; 10-02-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to add code tags!