Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-07-2005 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber

When does the world get too...BIG??

I am having an interesting problem. I am trying to create a background (a canyon) for my little airplanes to fly through. I am creating the canyon using a series of poly cylinders and connecting them all using booleans (easy enough). I am finding, however, that I cannot see the entire object. When I truck/dolly out in "Perspective", the object begins to disappear as if retreating into some sort of fog. I am creating all of this more or less within the confines of a grid.

I tried changing the units on the grid to "yards", but I think that's more a function of making a model than creating a world.

My question is exactly what can I do about this "fadeaway" issue, and is there a limit to the size of a "world" for any given scene. I would think that a "world" should, in theory, be able to be created in any size...

I will see if I can change the actual size of the grid. If so, perhaps that is the answer, but I'm not sure, hence my asking all of you! :-)

I browsed the general/newbie forum and though I found much interesting material I didn't see (or perhaps missed) anything which might pertain to my particular issue...

Any and all answers appreciated, and thanks again in advance!

Carry on...

# 2 18-07-2005 , 12:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
select your camera and go to the attribute editor (ctrl A). There you'll find near and far clipping settings that you can increase as you need.

# 3 18-07-2005 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
Thank you yet again, Mike!

BTW I took the liberty of visiting your website...VERY nice!

Carry on...

# 4 18-07-2005 , 08:46 PM
You can also set the default near and far clip values in the Cameras section of the Preferences panel, so you don't have to mess with the scene cameras too often.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 19-07-2005 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, will do!

Carry on...