Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-01-2004 , 02:51 AM
The Maya Mountain

Jan/Feb 2004 Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Jan/Feb 2004 Challenge
----------------------------------

Ready! Fight!

For our first challenge of the new year, we're doing away with the kiddie gloves and strapping on our yellow and black jumpsuit to bring you the "Design a Fighter" challenge!

1) Design a character for a fighting game! Show concepts and WIPs! It can be in-game low-poly OR high-res cinematic quality.

2) The more you are able to do, the better your chances! Texturing, rigging, animation, etc are not required, but will add to your chances!

3) BONUS! Extra consideration given to those who accomplish this second (optional) part of the challenge! Once your character is modeled and textured, create a special move for him/her/it! First, create a storyboard of the motion you have planned. Then, animate it! Remember, you've got TWO months! Plenty of time for those dedicated to do so!

4) Name your posts thusly:

Jan/Feb - Your Name - Norm or Noob

If, over the course of the challenge, it is determined that you are performing at an OBVIOUS opposite to your chosen class, you will be asked to reverse it. This hasn't happend often, and usually only to those who enter Noob category and are decided to be good enough for Norm. user added image

5) Toward the end of the challenge period, Final Entry posts will be made for you to officially submit your entry for consideration.

Guidelines/Suggestions/Etc.
------------------------------------
1) We can't seem to give this thing away! C'mon, let's do it! Once again, the grand prize to be chosen between the final Normal entries between Simply Maya AND Simply Lightwave:

https://www.simplylightwave.com/images/comp/prize.jpg

Once again, we need FIVE valid, normal entries between the two sites in order to justify the expense for shipping this baby out, so encourage each other!

2) If doing low-poly, keep it in a range of 3,000-5,000 triangle polys. That's about the standard for fighting game characters. Let us know your polycount if submitting a low-poly entry!

No special consideration is given to an entry based on whether it is low-poly or not.

Keep watch here for any addendums and feel free to post your own questions you might have.

Good luck!

EDIT: Prize info added!

# 2 04-01-2004 , 02:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
ADDITION:
-------------------

Your character MUST be original and not an obvious copy of a current character in an already existing fighting game!

# 3 04-01-2004 , 04:13 AM
Subscriber
sweet something to do user added image im in cool idea

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 4 04-01-2004 , 05:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
PRIZE INFO!

Ok, it has been decided that the Nov/Dec Challenge did not have enough valid final Normal entries to be able to justify the expense of awarding the prize...

So, we're trying again now!

user added image

Once again, Simply Lightwave will also be in on this challenge (to be announced there soon) so we need FIVE valid final Normal entries before this baby can be given away!

https://www.simplylightwave.com/images/comp/prize.jpg

Woo!

Cool stuff. user added image The winners of the Nov/Dec Challenge will be announced tomorrow. They will recieve, as always, VIP points as their reward.

Remember: Encourage each other to finish so we can start giving stuff away! user added image

# 5 06-01-2004 , 06:33 PM
Subscriber
Just out of interest have I missed where the winners names have been posted or have they not been announced yet? Thanks.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 6 06-01-2004 , 06:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
Check the Announcements forum here and SimplyLightwave.

# 7 07-01-2004 , 02:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
NOTE:

Weapons ARE included in the polycount if doing a low-poly character.

# 8 09-01-2004 , 06:05 PM
"Your character MUST be original and not an obvious copy of a current character in an already existing fighting game!"

hello,
im just curious, is it only limited to existing fighting games or it must be original, meaning it is made by the contestant...?

still new here, so i really dont know much...
sorry if my english is bad

Darth

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!
# 9 09-01-2004 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
i'd enter but i cannot draw...
i have many ideas in my head, too ad my drawing skills sux, oh well, next challenge eh?!!

BTW what does winner gets?

Last edited by vladimirjp; 09-01-2004 at 07:37 PM.
# 10 09-01-2004 , 08:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
spekkio, it must be original, made by the contestant.

vlad, I wouldn't let that stop you! You don't have to be a great traditional artist to enter.

If we have at least 5 finishing normal entries from SM and SLW, the winner will recieve an animation book. If not, VIP points will be the prize.

# 11 10-01-2004 , 05:18 AM
ok..tnx
its even harder than i thought

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!
# 12 16-01-2004 , 10:00 PM

Who is a noob??

Is it less or more than norm??

I would like to participate, not for prize but only to test my skills now..... Can I? How is the last ugly bit in this pyramid (You, the master... someone, the norm... someother the newbie... me??)

-- Don't use drugs, be
# 13 16-01-2004 , 10:10 PM
The Maya Mountain
Classifying yourself as a normal or noobie user if up to you. You won't ever be called on it unless you label yourself as "noob" and we feel you are good enough to compete with the other normals.

# 14 16-01-2004 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
Is it permitted to use sound samples taken from movies/songs or would we have to make our own audio gubbins?

Cheers

Also could you bump me to Norm please, as I fancy trying for those prizes user added image

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 15 17-01-2004 , 02:31 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds aren't a requirement, but if you'd like to use some, feel free to use whatever you can.