Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-11-2002 , 12:27 AM

jovi

Hi
I'm a absolute beginer in Maya and although I've animated a lot in Max's Charakter Studio I am dizzy now about numbers of methods in creating human skeleton in Maya. Now I'm in a hurry to learn correct planting foot on the ground. Witch method gives me that opportunity? Is this the one with reverse leg realy good? Or maybe this one with detached foot? And is it really popular enough to work with it. What method use proffesionals? I know You have a tutorial about walk cycle, but I don't know which method is discribed there. I've seen some animated tuts about skeletons on net but they don't refere to leg's IK and did not give me an answer.
Waiting for help user added image

# 2 11-11-2002 , 12:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
I do it fairly straight forward. It's kinda hard to explain, though. I've attached a pic... Let me know if you need any further explanation of anything...

# 3 11-11-2002 , 02:14 AM
Hi Jovi, welcome to simply maya. When I build a skeleton, I just use a classic method, I've tried a reverse foot set up it works pretty much the same, just has a few more bones in the foot. I prefer the setup like mike has in his picture above. As far as the detached foot, I haven't animated a character with one so I have no comparison, most of the people I know just use the classic skeleton setup, its easy and reliable. It very easy to put in iks and setup foot rolls. Ill try and dig up some more info for you soon.

Alias/Wave Front has a great book and tells you everything about setting up a great skeleton. Its called, Character Rigging and Animation. I have it and use it everytime I make a skeleton.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 11-11-2002 , 02:30 AM
Here is one of my skeletons. I used a ikSCsolver on this one.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb