Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-08-2008 , 02:50 PM

Maya Crashing on Mac OS 10.5

Currently I am using Maya 2008 on a Mac Pro with the newest OS.
I have received some information from Autodesk regarding the fact that Maya 2008 has not been qualified for the newer mac OS (10.4.x and above) and was told to download sp1/Ext2.
I cannot seem to find where to download this unless I need to be a "Subscriber" to Autodesk's support center. Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Also, I am a student not yet working for a business and don't think I am eligible to subscribe according to something I read on Autodesk's website.

My issue is while modeling polys (most recent issue is while using the Soft Mod tool) the entire system freezes and the computer must be restarted or the program closes without warning. I am assuming this is because of the above mentioned need for the service pack. But, what I would like to know is if there are any other things I could do to help my system cope with the issues Maya and my OS are having. It all seems to be occurring quite randomly. I can go all day with no issues and then, poof, program quits. Or, like today, I cannot go more than 20 mins without a problem!!

Here are my system specs: Mac Pro, Leopard (10.5), 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB, Hard Drive with 320GB Serial ATA, 7200rpm, 8MB cache

Kray-Z-Face
# 2 16-09-2008 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
Note sure if the Service pack is going to help you but it will not hurt to give it a try.

Maya 2008 Sp1 is available to all customers from the Autodesk site.

https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242259

In regards to Maya 2008 Ext2, you need to have atleast a subscription membership.

Good luck and remember that the Sp1 is a full install and you must uninstall your current copy. Do not worry about the licensing since the uninstaller will not touch the dat file in your /var/flexlm folder.

# 3 17-09-2008 , 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice and the link. I don't know why I couldn't find the link myself.

Kray-Z-Face