Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-05-2011 , 02:23 AM

2 Seprate objects without a Seam

Hi
i have a mesh which is made up of 2 separate objects which i would normally combine into one however due to what i am going to do to one of the objects later on i cant, so i need them to be separate however this leads to their being a seam due to the vertex Normals i have looked around for a fix but cant seem to find one.

any help would be most welcome

# 2 21-05-2011 , 06:24 AM
Usually, you can use the fact that you can toggle visiblity on/off, or simply move the object wherever you want, instantly, to solve this (use a combined object, then swap it out for the seperated model). This also allows the seperated pieces to include things like bevels, or smoothed edges. However, this may not be appropriate in places where there is a large amount of rigging involved, and it may make skinning difficult.
If using seperate objects, the best way to deal with the surface normal issue is to make sure that the surface normals are at the same angle at the seam. This is simple to produce (and visualize) with polygons. For example - instead of splitting a sphere on the initial geometry of the primitive, insert an edge loop, and split on that. This will ensure that face normals match on both pieces.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 21-05-2011 , 01:24 PM
Thank you for that Xander-0 unfortunately the 2 objects are organic and i have already set up where they end/start so ill have to use the vertex normal editing tool to get it to work

it will take some time but hopefully worth it in the end.

edit

actually if you use the component editor its much quicker and has less guess work than using the vertex normal editing tool

Last edited by marcjs; 21-05-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: New Info