Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-06-2005 , 12:27 AM

May/June Noob pankeriste

First of all I have to say sorry for posting my final entry first.Hope you won't hold it against me since I've never been in this chalenge and this is my firs project ever with Maya.
Anyway this is my project step by step.I'm posting only the key steps, if anyone wants somethin inbetween just say so, I have my progres saved (I was paranoid).

Botom line, all of the modeling was done just like the "cartoon dog" tutorial which basicly tought me how to work with Maya from scratch.
Screen shot 1
A very simple reference pic that I made in the windows paint program.Just for orientation.I had a good drawing but no scanner.Anyway it did the job.

Attached Images
# 2 25-06-2005 , 12:32 AM
Screen shot 2
Half of the character already converted in polygon.Started with nurbs.All of them were spheres.Dont remember but the wing might have been a cylinder.It doesn't have the botom jaw yet as you can see.

Attached Images
# 3 25-06-2005 , 12:36 AM
Here is the nurb version with the eyes.All of the parts were atached to each other using the booleans method.(cleaning up with merging verticies).Sometimes booleans did not work so I used the combine method.

Attached Images
# 4 25-06-2005 , 12:39 AM
OK this is the hair part.I made it by extruding polygon faces from the top of the head.

Attached Images
# 5 25-06-2005 , 12:42 AM
Here it is converted to subD and with the sunglasess.The sunglasess are made with a sphere atached to cylinders(handles)They already have the blin material asigned to them.

Attached Images
# 6 25-06-2005 , 12:45 AM
The shoes.A nurb with cylinders for the laces.They are painted the simple way- by asigning diferent material atributes(blin color) to diferent faces.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 25-06-2005 , 12:50 AM
The final entry
It has 4 directional lights, front ones 550 each and the back ones 750 each.It has a sphere around it.

Attached Thumbnails