Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 18-11-2003 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Witchy user added image

My partner thinks it doesn't look enough like Gollum. She'd like me to make as perferct (or near as) replica that I can. You just happend to echo the voices in my head user added image
Plus, I've leaned so much while doing this piece that it may not be such a bad idea to go back and put it all into practice, have to sleep on it I think.

# 77 19-11-2003 , 01:10 AM
Subscriber
Chris I wouldn't remodel him right now.. I would consintrait on gettting the hole thing done first.. unless your not really conserned about finishing, just enjoying the challenge.. The only reson I'm saying this is becouse you never know what kind of problems will come up in the last cuple of days.. I had my motherboard go out on me like the last day of the 1st challenge I was in !! it sucked.. all that hard work.. really lerned a lot but I was very bumed.. anyway. he could be tweeked quiet a bit even after uv maps, and skeletons.. just make sure you save your skeleton unbound.. and then when you do save your skin waits. This is just my opinion though.. Your pritty good and fast so if you want to redo the hole face.. go for it. It just matters that your happy with it.

Witchy, I think it might help.. but mike's pritty eazygoing and fair I think.

# 78 19-11-2003 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
Hey, first thing i thought when i saw this creature is i thought... gollum. Very nice work, and your quite good at texturing :thumbsup:

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 79 19-11-2003 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Pony,you have an excellent point that he could be tweaked after rigging.

I am really enjoying this challenge and while I despise not finishing something on time, my prime concern is how well I'm learning and developing as an artist. For me, being a part of these challenges has nothing to do with competition but the sharing of knowledge and development. So far, this is the best site I've found for those purposes. I'm learning more than ever did on my college course.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there user added image
I think I'll stick with the model I have for now and concentrate on texturing and setting the whole scene up. If I have more time later I will go back and remodel, just for personal satisfaction.

Thanks again everybody!

# 80 19-11-2003 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
Good call Chris - I raised it not because I want things to look like the movie but rather because I don't think they should have to, but that's just me I should imagine. I just remember illustrations and things about the books long before anyone dreamt about the films. Keep Golluming!

# 81 19-11-2003 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
Cheers Witchy,
you have a good point, I did consider making Gollum as a hybrid Gollum - Bruce Lee, but thought that would just look too weird. Instead I'm opting for giving him those scars across his chest from the dragon movie. Personally I think if you do enough to create the impression of the characters you are portraying then that should be enough.
I'm such a huge fan of the accomplishments made with Gollum that I really want to do the character as much justice as possible. Also to learn how to get as close as possible to being able to create that level of imagery in CG.

Last edited by Chris_H; 19-11-2003 at 08:25 AM.
# 82 19-11-2003 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber

# 83 19-11-2003 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
man this is turning out SWEET AS user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 84 19-11-2003 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
Very cool. He's looking a bit leathery but I am not sure what his skin should look like in that sense lol. That bump map is excellent.

# 85 20-11-2003 , 12:28 AM
Subscriber
Yes it dose look a little leathery. maybe cut down on the shinyness whill it dosn't have as much color. I imagine it will have the right amount the more color it has..

# 86 20-11-2003 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
Thanks fellows,

you are right, tis leathery at the moment. I think I need to start work on the specular map too. Never done one before so am going to do a little reading up on that. Of course I cold just turn down the specular values but that wouldn't give me a good skin quality. Also the colour map is still way too basic, as yet there are no liver spots or distinguishing marks going on and I'll hopefully be adding to that tonight.

Thanks again

Chris

# 87 20-11-2003 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber
yeah but the bump map is so SWEET !!!! are you using a bit of bump texture hear and there from a ref pic or texture ?? if so whare did ya get it ??

# 88 20-11-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Pony,
It's all painted by hand. Glad you like it user added image

The cheeks still need some work, and further around the head. I've been quite slow and deliberate about building that texture, as I decided to use it as a displacement map.

# 89 20-11-2003 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
It's great stuff, I'd be interested to hear how you did it in terms of layers etc eventually, if you have the time when this is over or something. Between you and Ice Queen we could learn loads from you talented sorts!

# 90 20-11-2003 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
what res are you doing your textures in if you don't mind me asking ?