Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 12-09-2003 , 06:20 AM
19 year Veteran
How would you describe ( in your opinion ) the Maya workflow style? Does it vary between the user, or is it a constant with every user? I appologise if the question doesn't make any sence as I find it difficult to ask.

# 17 12-09-2003 , 08:31 AM
it varies, (its a flow remember?user added image)specially between those who have mastered meluser added image and those who dontuser added image (i need more time, knowledge and money...)

In maya you have lots of ways to skin the same cat, specially if youre tryng something that is not on the books (or you found no tutorial wich helps you not burning your brain triyng to do it...)

# 18 12-09-2003 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
When Mike spoke about too many spaceships he is dead right (as always). I was told many a time - take out the spaceships - the industry is bored stiff of sci-fi stuff, they are probably getting bored with dinosaurs by now...

As for 3DS or 3DMax or whatever (same program), it has been dominant in the games industry for ages. As Kevin said this might change, reason being most game development cycles are about 2-3 years. Now you're not gonna change package half way through a development cycle to Maya Complete (you don't need Unlimited) just cos it's got cheaper and is better to use. So, perhaps as games developers finish their games they might adopt Maya instead of Max. But then again they would have to train staff to use Maya which would be time consuming and not cost-effective.

Put yourselves in the shoes of a developer you wana create something that is gonna sell and produce it as cheaply as possible...

BTW
Talking of SciFi it might make a bit of a come back. I mean I still think 'The Forbidden Planet' was an excellent film, better than some of the stuff you get today...

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 19 12-09-2003 , 01:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, Maya Complete is perfectly viable and guess what? Cheaper. The only reason my current studio is using Max is because, at the time, the special shaders and stuff we're using were only available for Max. Now that's changed, and it's very possible a switch could happen. My art director is a huge Maya guy, and can't stand Max almost more than I can't. lol

Not only that, we recieved lots of assets from a canceled game and they were all Maya files. Maya is gaining a hold in the game industry and it can only get bigger. user added image

# 20 12-09-2003 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
Another thing I just thought of is that game companies don't really need to purchase Maya Unlimited because games only use polygons. Subdivisions, clothe effects, fluid effects, etc aren't really needed for games. Eveything they need is in Complete. I know you may need an Unlimited copy for an intro animation scene (like the FF series for instance) and cool renders for magizines and the box cover, but that only requires a few Unlimited copies.

# 21 12-09-2003 , 08:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
Many studios out-source cinematic work. user added image

# 22 12-09-2003 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
So Mike do you use 3D Studio Max for work then?

# 23 12-09-2003 , 08:54 PM
19 year Veteran
Out-source? How can game studios out source cinematic work. Isn't the game industry a different realm of a sort compared to cinema? I mean games are interactive, movies are not. Are you saying that games use many CG packages while movies only use one or two?

# 24 12-09-2003 , 09:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
DgAPc - I use both Maya and Max at work.

THX - There are studios out there that just do game cinematics. Depending on the developer, sometimes there isn't time in the schedule for the same team making the game art to also do high-res cinematics, so they hire another studio to do it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the number of CG packages used. Studios will use whatever they feel is necessary.

EDIT: Oh, I believe you thought I meant that the game studio also works as an out-source for cinematic work? That's not what I meant.

# 25 13-09-2003 , 06:31 AM
19 year Veteran
I meant Gaming studios using a variety of CG packages to produce a product, and movie only studios usually use one CG package to produce a product besides the editing program. I hope im not going in the wrong direction here with my reply.

# 26 13-09-2003 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber
Going back to the maya vs, i've always said maya was the easiest to use and now if i go into gmax (a free version of 3DS Max for game moding) i'm like "arrrgh, how do i model a cube" but this week i tried a free version of Cinema 4D and found it really easy to use. However i still say maya is by far the most powerful.

# 27 13-09-2003 , 04:39 PM
19 year Veteran
There has to be something up with 3DSMax other wise there wouldn't be so much material out in the market ( no matter how unorganized the interface is ). One thing I do find difficult with Maya is the texturing . How is the texturing with the other CGI packages compared to Maya?

# 28 13-09-2003 , 05:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
Compared to Max, I find Maya's UV manipulation much easier.

# 29 13-09-2003 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
I think it's all to do with what you are used to most people here are used to maya so we'll say maya is easier but if you go to a 3ds max site they would say max is easier. If you know what you're doing you can produce industry standard work with allmost any 3d software.

# 30 13-09-2003 , 06:48 PM
aaaaahhhh... when, lord, when well see texture weapons/deep uv/photoshop quality tools to paint the 3d INSIDE maya? Ive seen two versions of maya and only the mapping has gone a bit better... this should be a prioritary research in Alias...(which not so long ago were the ones who launched a feature and then everyone else copied...)
huumm ipr for mr would be cool too, but i gues well have to wait 3/5 years of power growth to realtime mr...

--------------------------------------------------------------
presets, gimme more, lots of them....