Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 10-11-2014 , 12:08 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 47 11-11-2014 , 04:11 PM
Thank you David.

# 48 12-11-2014 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply to my 'Can't copy UVs' post. They were definitely flattened.

I still can't copy them across to the other legs. I even went back into Maya and deleted 3 of the legs and then duplicated the remaining one 3 times, just to make sure i was working with matching topolgy but it still wouldn't copy across in UVLayout.

The copy function in UVLayout is definitely working because i tried it with 4 simple cubes that i exported from Maya and it worked perfectly!

In the end I just manually did it for all four legs. It didn't take long.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers,

Jamie

# 49 25-11-2014 , 02:41 PM
SM Tea Boy
VRay done at last, sorry about the delay I wanted to hold it till VRay 3 came out of beta

Go here for the tutorial and larger images https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...om/?tut_id=364

Enjoy any questions feel free to ask.
David user added image

Attachment 1 top image: VRay lit from the front, color grade A
Attachment 2 middle image: VRay lit from the front, color grade B
Attachment 3 bottom image: Mental ray backlit

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 50 03-12-2014 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
I have a quick question. I just got the Vray 3 interiors tutorial and I'm working my way through the series. I am using Maya 2015 Ext 1 SP5 with VRay 3. I notice that both in IPR mode and in the viewport window I do not get any GI rendering. My setup, I believe, is exactly what you have in the tutorial. If I click for a render, the GI comes through but both Vray RT and the Vray Viewport do not render GI. Is there some special check box I need to set for this to work?

# 51 03-12-2014 , 02:23 AM
SM Tea Boy
rimcrazy whats your GI depth set to under the RT settings? and what gfx card do you have in the machine vray rt can be a bit particular about the gfx card.

# 52 03-12-2014 , 04:02 AM
Subscriber
Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. The GI depth is set to 3, the Trace depth is set to 5. I have an NVidia K5000 Quadro card with 4Gb of video Ram. Should be more than enough I would think. I just checked with the NVidia website and I am running the latest version of Quadro driver, 340.66.

Last edited by rimcrazy; 03-12-2014 at 04:15 AM.
# 53 20-12-2014 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber

merge vertex

Hi and thank you for a Great tut. Im having problem in video 2. When you convert nurbs to poly and are merging vertexes in the New poly object. I cant Get the vertexes merget.

# 54 24-12-2014 , 01:02 PM
Great tuts. Thx very much David. When's the Maxwell Render tut coming ?

# 55 24-12-2014 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
I'm still having the same issue with problem that GI renders do not appear in the Viewport or IPR renders. Is there something else I need to look at?

# 56 26-12-2014 , 05:59 PM
rimcrazy use render settings from project files and compare them with yours OR restore default render setting and check GI, then render.

# 57 16-01-2015 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
Hey David. I'm about the start the UV Layoit and it's going to be my first time with that software. If I buy the student version will work for what we do here in this tutorial? Or should better download the hobbiest trial?? Thanks!!!

# 58 16-01-2015 , 10:27 AM
SM Tea Boy
Hi serkestudio the student version should be just fine

Hope you enjoy the tutorial
David

# 59 29-01-2015 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
Hey David, I just finished the modeling, still want to add a couple things but I'll start the mapping first. But I have a question out of subject and you might help me. Take a look to my occlusion....why is there so much "noise" Itried moving the pixels from 72 to 150 and nothing, you can see this is a big image too. Im putting 128 samples, spread 0.7, max distance 500, and reflective on... what can I do to get an smoother image? thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 29-01-2015 , 02:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
The noise in this case I believe is coming from the AA not being high enough, not the AO.

Go into the render settings, then quality, then turn up your unified sampling quality to around 1 and try again.

I hope you're enjoying the tutorial thus far user added image
All the best
Dave