Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-10-2013 , 05:35 PM

Adding details to model without enough polygons?

So i got this model, im not sure if i can call it a low polygon model, thats not really what i'm aiming for. but the polygons are way to big for me to get into theese small details like the gaps (where the diffrent part of the car is, for example the hood, or the door-gaps). And my question is, how can i do this the most effective and smart way, without getting tons of polygons everywhere.

im thinking

1. Smoothing the mesh out and getting that detail there
problem: too many polygons around the model

2. Painting in mudbox
problem: too many polygons

3. Displacement at the material
problem: i have never done this before except for in Cinema 4d, and there's a big risk of messing up. I got no clue how to do this

4. Creating a mesh that indicates theese gaps, and use this mesh as a boolean difference
problem: topology problem, hard edges (?)

Right now i kinda feel like going for option 4. But i dont know, what do you guys think i should do?

Rendered model with lights + AO set up:

user added image

Wireframe:

user added image

Reference (side):

user added image

Thanks

Skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 23-10-2013 , 08:25 PM
I think what they do is break it into parts. For the door, select the faces you want and extract.

There is a tutorial on YouTube where a guy makes a mini.

Displacement maps are easy.
Graph your material in hypershade - select the very first node, and plug a file in its disp slot.

For any other bits you should just be specific so people could answer you better.

That's my 2cents.

# 3 23-10-2013 , 09:28 PM

I think what they do is break it into parts. For the door, select the faces you want and extract.

There is a tutorial on YouTube where a guy makes a mini.

Displacement maps are easy.
Graph your material in hypershade - select the very first node, and plug a file in its disp slot.

For any other bits you should just be specific so people could answer you better.

That's my 2cents.

You'r right. The door is pretty easy to be done with extrusion user added image and I'll go for displacement on the other parts. Just another thing to learn, which is good, right user added image ?? thanks for the reply mate!

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 4 23-10-2013 , 09:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Sircharles is right,detach faces to make the car panels which you can then create the gaps naturally and detail seperately.

Some details can be done with displacement (for example writing on tyre walls) it is simply your choice as to which to model and which to displace.

From the questions you have posted it seems you are not aware that you can reinforce a smoothed edge by placing another edge close to an existing one to keep the form.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 15-01-2014 , 11:32 AM

Sircharles is right,detach faces to make the car panels which you can then create the gaps naturally and detail seperately.

Some details can be done with displacement (for example writing on tyre walls) it is simply your choice as to which to model and which to displace.

From the questions you have posted it seems you are not aware that you can reinforce a smoothed edge by placing another edge close to an existing one to keep the form.

The thing is that i didnt manage to add an edge without getting really messed up results, hard edges and unsmooth edges after scaling it to get the edges straight ... in 2014 this is way easier for me though because of the "insert with edge loop" option with the cut tool. Not sure if it would mess it up anyways.

I know that in the new modelling toolkit it's really easy to just re-create my mesh from the existing one, and separate the parts from where the gaps are and then combine them.

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS user added image

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 6 15-01-2014 , 11:52 AM
Lifetime Member
I would have made that panel separate and created each 'slit' as none of the panels on a car actually are one 'mesh'. That is if you are talking about the grill for airflow on the engine?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes