Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-01-2003 , 05:24 PM

Liquids

What would be the best way to make a liquid inside a beaker that bubbles and smokes? Also, if I have a thin glass tube, what would be the best way to simulate a liquid flowing through it?

-I swear it was like that when I got here-
# 2 24-01-2003 , 05:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
one way I've seen is to have your main "liquid quantity" object, and then use a particle emitter emitting blobby particles with the lifespan set so they pop when they get to the hieght you want.

Using the Particle Flow Path (under the Effects menu I believe) would be good for flowing through a tube, I think.

# 3 24-01-2003 , 10:14 PM
I am very new at this, so bear with me. Whenever I try to use particles, they don't show up and I get some message about hardware rendering. How do I fix this?

# 4 24-01-2003 , 10:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
you have 2 different types of particles. Software Renderable and Hardware Renderable. The only Software Renderable particles, I believe, are Clouds, Tubes, and Blobby Surfaces. The rest are Hardware Render particles.

Under Window > Rendering Editors > Hardware Render (or something to that effect) is the Hardware Render window. Using this renderer, you will need to render the particles.

Than, render your scene without them. In an editing program, such as Premier or After Effects, combine the two renders for the final product.

This may be a little advanced for your current stage in learning, but it's good info. user added image

# 5 25-01-2003 , 12:52 AM
I have used Premier before. Thank you for the information-- I greatly appreciate it!