Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-04-2005 , 08:06 AM

light and reflections

Hi!
I'Ve played around a little with mental ray and GI...
user added image

and a little making of:
Little making Of
I used GI, blurred reflections... trace depth was two so I didn't get too much reflections...
-Klaus

Klaus Stangl
inferno*&Maya
www.worldofmaya.com
# 2 01-04-2005 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
cool render (if a little big)...
care to share your shader settings. Reflections are always a popular question and seeing as yours seem to work well, I thought you might be able to provide some insights.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 03-04-2005 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
my new wallpaper... user added image

cool render, nice effect with the mirror
the orange has a bit too much bump map on it though

First year 3D Grad
# 4 03-04-2005 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
i like how you managed to refract or reflect rather the image into all directions.

im with mhcannon on this one, care to share? user added image cause i'm not too familiar with mental ray and would be interested on how you got that effect user added image

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 5 04-04-2005 , 06:08 AM
Okay here are a few insights:
All the shader are based on an mental ray network. The burred reflection part was sampled 5 times to get a nice smooth blur effect.
The lightning was done with an simple spotlight. Itensity was 1, color is controlled with an mib_cie_d node, so I can set itensity and color with CIE based values (color temperature in kelvin). When using this node, it's a little bit hard to get the photon color right... The spotlight was used as an area light with upper sampling of 10 to get nice shadows.
About the reflections... trace depth was set to 2, otherwise the renderer would have produced more reflections, I only wanted to have one reflection on every wall.
I used 100.000 photons emitted from the spotlight to get a little better indirect lightning, Final Gathering was used to smooth out the Global Illumination solution. One note perhaps... using all the caching capabilities that Maya/mental ray offers can save a great amount of rendering time. Before optimizing the scene, rendering time was around 45 minutes on an 1,8 GHz AMD. After some tweaks render time was around 10 minutes with GI and FG. You can save around 5 minutes with saving the GI/FG solution. Hope you like it...
-Klaus

Klaus Stangl
inferno*&Maya
www.worldofmaya.com