Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-09-2011 , 11:18 PM

Child (0,0,0,) not aligned with parent's world rotate pivot point?

Hi all,

I'll preface by stating that I'm new to Maya. I'm having an issue lining up a child's 0,0,0 coordinates with it's parent's world rotate pivot coordinates. Ideally what I hoped would happen was that when you parent an object, the child's translate coordinates would be the local offset coordinates from parent's world rotate pivot coordinates But, my problem is when I parent some objects of different dimensions, I get strange results.

In the picture below, I've parented the blue object to the red one. I'm working with polygonal planes, by the way. Now, the child's 0,0,0 isn't defaulting to the parent's world rotate pivot coordinates. It's instead aligning it in the middle of the parent object, which is odd because I've changed the pivot points on both polygonal planes.

I'm sure this is likely a quick fix, but I want to seek some advice on how to fix it. I know a way to do it is to freeze the child object at the parent's pivot point; but I'm moreso looking for the proper way to do it instead of a workaround like that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please see the picture below for a screenshot containing the issue.
Edit:I should mention that the coordinates in the attributes pane on the right of the second screenshot are for the parent object (the red one) and not the child. The child's coords are 0,0,0 like i say.

-G.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by GarrettVD; 10-09-2011 at 11:20 PM.
# 2 11-09-2011 , 03:07 AM
Technical Director
When you parent a child to a parent, it creates an offset, so that the child's pivot is in the same place that it was before it was parented. You might also want to freeze your transformations before parenting, as having different scale values on children and parents can cause problems. That might fix your problem.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 11-09-2011 , 05:26 PM
Hmmm, I've tried freezing at the parent plane's position prior to parenting as well, but that gives me even stranger results.