Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-08-2011 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber

AK47

Hi all,

I've been following the tutorials in Mike McKinley's book 'Maya Studio Projects - Game Environments and Props' and I've been moving between the book tutorials, and working on my own using the techniques I've just learned. I've done this for most sections; after doing the brickwall I modelled some sidewalks, after the foliage section I made a few bollards in different styles. Now I'm mid-way through the revolver modelling section and have taken a break to use my newly aquired skills on modelling an AK47.

So far I've only done the hi-poly version as that's as far as I am with the revolver. This is the first (second if you count the revolver user added image) weapon I've ever modelled and I think I've done an OK job with it. The iron sight is still a little dodgey and minor details might be missing as I can't find many angled photographs of AK47s so some of the details are pure guess-work.

Let me know what you think!

Martin.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-08-2011 , 01:10 AM
Subscriber
I like it, the stock coming out of the back looks a little steep, i.e. jets downward a little much, but maybe it's just the angle. Other than that it looks really good. I do see a lot of these in Black Ops.

user added image

cheers
-C
# 3 29-08-2011 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber

the stock coming out of the back looks a little steep

I thought that! But I've put it up against a few different image planes and it looks bob-on. Also looks a bit short to me in that screenshot. Here's another, maybe a better angle. This one's rendered before I added the non-symmetrical details and the iron sights.

user added image

Last edited by KartoonHead; 29-08-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Spelt 'symmetrical' wrong and it was bugging me :p
# 4 30-08-2011 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
Looking good mate.

# 5 12-09-2011 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
Started texturing the low-poly model today. It comes in just over 5,000 tris. Quite happy with it so far, needs a good bit of extra detail but it's getting there. The current normal map is done in CrazyBump, so I've yet to render out normals from the high-poly model, will get round to doing that tonight perhaps. Hoping to have this finished by the end of the week and that'll be my first portfolio asset user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 12-09-2011 , 06:50 PM
The thin red line
Looking good if you bake a occlusion map to it , it will help with the detail..........dave

# 7 14-09-2011 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
How's this looking?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 21-09-2011 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
Got a 'job' (unpaid mod work) modelling weapons off the back of this AK user added image

Here's my latest WIP, the M3 'Grease Gun'. This is the low-poly model (3,800 tris) with AO and Normals baked from the high-poly. Hoping to get a good chunk of the texturing done tomorrow.
user added image

# 9 21-09-2011 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
Well I did indeed get a good chunk of the texturing done today. A few finishing touches and I'll be happy putting this in-game. Let me know what you think! This is gun model #2. I think my texturing has come on alot since the AK.
user added image

# 10 24-09-2011 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
Really good modeling and texturing IMO. Can we see some wireframes?

# 11 24-09-2011 , 07:07 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah looks nice. I think the texturing is much better than the AK, but it would be nice to see a larger image.
i'd say that its a bit over the top for a game asset tho. isn't 3k polys quite a lot? I dont know much about game stuff.

# 12 26-09-2011 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
Wireframes on their way! Nah, 3k polys is actually quite low nowadays. My brief for this one was that it had to run well in SDK (Half-Life 2) which is pretty old. The stock gun that comes with UDK, which is lifted straight from Unreal Tournament 3 (released 2009) is about 5,000 triangles and it's 3rd person counterpart is 2,700.

My AK was a bit high in polycount, but I worked on it and got it down to 3,677 triangles.

Thanks for the feedback user added image