Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-03-2006 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber

dirtying up texture

Hi,

this a texture sample of a tin soldier i am making. I want to dirty it up a bit more so it looks like it has been used a lot. Scratches colour falling off etc. I tried quite a lot of brushes in photoshop but none of them or a combination would give me a result I was really happy with.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly apreciated.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-03-2006 , 11:42 AM
You could use a grunge map as a transparancy layer so that where its black you can see throught it to the bare metal/rust, think you would have to do it as a layered shader in Maya (or thats how I've done it itn the past

# 3 27-03-2006 , 12:11 AM
Subscriber
sorry, forgot to say thanks. It did work, not with a layered shader though, sounds too complicated, I've got so much to learn at the moment one layer is enough for nowuser added image

cheers

# 4 05-04-2006 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
hey, i would add some colour variation (within the colour fields), and maybe hand paint over the black lines to make them look less freshly painted. the white really pops out and looks new, so you might want to paint dirt on those straps.

if you can't find the brush you like, then make one and just experiment with the brush mixer. also, you can download premade photoshop brushes (google "nagel series"). might help.

but it all depends on your style, if you want to go cartoony or realistic.

good luck!

# 5 05-04-2006 , 12:05 PM
Subscriber
thanks, I'll defenitely try out the free brushes. But after all my character is just really small in the shot, so most of the detail would get lost anyway. I might do it just for practise though.

cheers

# 6 15-04-2006 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
i would say: use the burn tool :attn: