Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-04-2003 , 09:51 PM

Fantasy Sailing Ship (wip)

I started this model last night, but its all "there" for the most part. Lots of little details to add all over the ship. Probably going to work on the detail on the back of the ship next.

# 2 21-04-2003 , 10:04 PM
Cool!

Can't wait to see it textured!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 21-04-2003 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
COOL very !!!!!!!!!!1

"we need more rope capten !!" LOL JK you know that already.

# 4 21-04-2003 , 10:54 PM
really nice, good detail for the most part. The only part I think that lets it down is the part at the back on the top. It's too smooth compared with thes rest of the ship.

Excellent work though, cant wait to see some textures on there

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 22-04-2003 , 12:09 AM
Yeah thats the part i'm working on now. The whole back section is probably the farthest from completion. Textureing wise all i've done is work out were i'm going to have to go in with grunge, and general ideas for colors and overall texture. I still have a long ways to go modeling wise. The actual rigging is going to take some time to get correct. Oh well back to work.

Thanks for the comments, its nice to hear (or read?) after spending so much time on it. user added image

# 6 22-04-2003 , 02:44 PM
its a good start
i would like to see the final product

# 7 23-04-2003 , 05:07 AM
Ran into some problems today and had to start the hull from scratch. I'm still working on it adding detail. I decided to add some more to it in modeling instead of relying on a good texture map to make up for its shortcomings. The back section of the ship is starting to shape up nicely though.

# 8 24-04-2003 , 06:20 AM
Another update. I started putting on basic textures. Just been working on the planking cause thats the closest to being done. Anyways heres the pick, tell me what you think.

# 9 24-04-2003 , 06:27 AM
Heres another view of it, you can really see the plank texture. Still needs some work but not bad from making it by hand in photoshop.

# 10 25-04-2003 , 04:35 AM
Subscriber
BY HAND!?!?! Wow man you gotta teach me some stuff. I know that prog can do so much more than i know how to tell it too.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 11 26-04-2003 , 12:21 AM
excellent texture you should post some details on how you made it a lot of people wood [sic!] user added image be interested in how you did it. There seems to be a problem at the front where the texture appears to be warping somewhat.

looking very nice though

Alan

IMDB
# 12 26-04-2003 , 07:11 AM
Yeah, the warping is a uv problem I didn't have time to correct before I had to go to bed the other night. Basically texture wise I come up with an idea of what I wanted. In this case, wood. I then went into photoshop and drew a bunch of lines for the "planks" and broke it up by doing several vertical lines every now and then for new boards. The wood grain is from some colored noise with a directional blur, and distort thrown in. I then took all of that and used a series of displacement maps and grunge maps to dirty it up and distort the hand drawn lines to make them more natural (I use all natural grunge maps).

Although its not really evident, because I haven't messed with it much yet, the bump and specular maps were created by a serious of level calls on different layers.

And if you want any help Vectorman you can get ahold of me on Aim (glh3586) or something. I'd be glad to help.

# 13 26-04-2003 , 04:58 PM
Lookin good man!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 14 26-04-2003 , 06:35 PM
I've taken a break from modeling for a while and started texturing. This is the preliminary texture for the sails.

# 15 26-04-2003 , 06:47 PM
very nice sail texture! Looks like it has been at sea for a few years! user added image Is it my eyes or is it the same texture on all three sails? I guess it is but as you said it's preliminary so it doesnt matter

user added image

Alan

IMDB