Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-08-2003 , 07:57 PM

Vibration bringing colour :P

this may not be a "maya basics" but i have no idea what to do user added image

i want to make a wine glass, completely transparent so you cant see it, then something taps it and the vibrations from the tap you can see shiver up it, and as they shiver up it i want the glassy look to appear. not just appear and fade in, but make the colours appear properly following the vibrations user added image any idea how? user added image

# 2 24-08-2003 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
I believe that would be done through animation, no? Simple key framing should do it. I would also turn on motion blur in your render global settings as well.

*grabs a wine glass*....... *flicks the top section*........*observes*

Hmm. Well, appears as though the rim of the glass is the only part that really vibrates dispite the fact that the glass is one object.

Realiztically, I believe the only way you could achieve this effect is by animating the actual vertices near the top of the wine glass. I do not recommend doing this for two reasons:

1) We can achieve the same effect by animating the entire glass as opposed to animating the vertices, which will be a lot easier and faster. The only drawback to doing this is that your vibration will be seen on the base of your wine glass, which is unrealistic. This, however, is ok because......

2) you will not be seeing the base of the glass in the animation anyway. Am I telling you how to do your animation? Partialy, yes. I believe that the effect will only be noticable if your camera is right up next to the rim of the glass. Otherwise, you might as well not even fool with this effect unless you can *see* the effect, no?

Conclusion: animate the entire glass. This should be done very carefuly though because it is obviously very easy to "overanimate" the glass. You want to barely move it. I would key every frame as well, otherwise you will get a smooth transition from one position to another.

I would probably try to use an expression. Would set driven key work with this?

There are probably other ways to achieve this effect. This way is only one....

# 3 24-08-2003 , 08:17 PM
i was thinking more of a "matrix bullet ring" effect shivvering down it ring by ring and dissappearing, some form of particle effect i believe. but the problem would be making the glasses colour appear following the rings, like say, its like you have a glass tube and you cant see it, but as you fill it up you see it appear, that kind of effect but in reverse user added image

# 4 24-08-2003 , 08:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
You could possibly map a black to white ramp to your transparancy and animate the ramp to achieve such an effect.

# 5 24-08-2003 , 08:34 PM
thanks user added image i dont know what that means but i shall learn user added image

# 6 24-08-2003 , 10:44 PM
What about making the glass a soft body and setting one of those springy elastic field things around it?

# 7 24-08-2003 , 10:56 PM
Tons of ways to do this...all of them out of my ablility.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 8 24-08-2003 , 10:59 PM
ok i'll give up on this project then. would love to see someone attempt it though user added image

<-- n00b

# 9 24-08-2003 , 11:11 PM
Ill keep it in my little black book of things to do if I ever get good at maya.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 10 24-08-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
ok i'll give up on this project then. would love to see someone attempt it though user added image

<-- n00b

You'll give up?? you dont just give up because others dont know how to do it! go out and look for your answer...

by the way, I dont know if this it gonna help (or it's it's even close to what you need) but look at this

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut...eed_color.html

called Speed... it's pretty nice...

-Emo

Last edited by Emo; 24-08-2003 at 11:27 PM.
# 11 24-08-2003 , 11:34 PM
i've never moddeled anything more (that's any good) than user added image lol.

i think it's possibly a little too advanced for me user added image

# 12 25-08-2003 , 12:01 AM
That effect you want reminds me of Daredevil......how he taps the railing in the subway....very cool effect....would love to see that attempted here user added image

# 13 25-08-2003 , 02:17 AM
yeah thats where the idea came from... wouldnt it look so cool? user added image

# 14 25-08-2003 , 04:36 AM
I think mike's idea of a color ramp, animated, sounds like a good idea - why don't you try it?

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I have been trying to work with glass myself... but being a newbie, things take a lot of time...

good luck

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...