Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-05-2004 , 08:46 AM

dnPolyhedron.mel is available

After testing out the script from Tim_LIVID's thread in the polygon forum, I decided to write my own polyhedron/geosphere MEL script. The version posted in that thread works ok, but it only creates shapes using centimeters. I regularly work with meters as my linear units, so the shapes always showed up very very very small. Also, I happened to be going through the icosahedron tutorial in David Stripinis's book "The MEL Companion".

So, after a lot of hacking away in my text editor, I finally finished dnPolyhedron.mel. Here are a couple of screenies:

user added image

user added image

It's derived heavily from the sources mentioned above, but I did make some changes to how things are handled. The biggest change was getting it work in any linear unit scale. Also, the script is contained in a single file and does not have a large image in the window (like in GeoSphere.mel).

You can download the script here:

https://www.dannyngan.com/tools.htm

If you do end up testing it out, let me know how it works and if you find any bugs.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job