Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-11-2007 , 11:56 PM

origami

I thought this would not be to hard to do, but have discovered it looks like it may be a real nightmare to get what I was wanting. I hoped to take a single poly and fold it up as if it were a piece of paper to create some simple origami animals. I split the plane up so it has the lines on it where the folds need to be. My main problem is the rotation tool is not always at the angles I need it to be. Is there a way to adjust this without moving the object. I know you can adjust the move tools location by hitting the insert key but cannot find a way to adjust the actual rotation angle. Also is this the best way to go about this.

Many thanks,

Leon

# 2 23-11-2007 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
you need to go into your component mode and switch to the miscellaneous mode (i think its the question mark) can't remember as don't have maya in front of me at mo. I believe there you can change the local rotation of the object.

Chris

# 3 23-11-2007 , 06:32 AM

hmmm...

I tried to do what you are working on. The best way I figured of doing it was to go into face mode. Select the face you want to manipulate. Hit the "insert" key and move the rotation axis and snap it to the line by holding the "C" key to the line or angle you want it to bend on. Then make sure you go straight to the rotate tool, if you go to the translate tool and the skip to the rotate tool the axis resets for some reason. This is the best way I found. Make sure you're in gimbal mode when you rotate it.

EA Games