Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-12-2009 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber

Medical 3D Rendering?

Hello!

So, one thing I've always liked and I'm thinking on moving towards to is 3D medical renderings and animations.
I just have NO idea where to start on this. I can't seem to find any info on this, as of what's a better approach for projects like these. Paint effects? Please any thought, comment, or link would be much appreciate it.

thanks for your time!

# 2 11-12-2009 , 09:29 PM
Technical Director
What type of medical animations?

Bones and such?

It's a very broad question you've asked.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 11-12-2009 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber

# 4 11-12-2009 , 10:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
Glad you asked user added image
If you're interested in the same thing I am, which it sounds like you are, check out this site:
molecularmovies.com (some tutorials and lots of videos there)
which will lead you to molecular maya, a plugin I'm trying out at the moment and some good names to look for: Gael McGill, Drew Berry, Eric Keller, Janet Iwasa...

Also, companies that do with this stuff (in no particular order): Xvivio, Hybrid Medical, Random42, Digizyme, Cosmocyte, Argosy, Nucleus Medical (got these by google and other means).
Institutions: Wehi, Howard Hughes, Harvard

A book I'm reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Silico-Animati...0570882&sr=8-1

What's your background? Though I'm trying to learn all aspects of maya, the areas I suspect will be most useful are dynamics, nparticles, and MEL/Python scripting.

Hope that gives you plenty to start on. Now you have most of my resources and inspiration user added image

# 5 11-12-2009 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
Glad you asked user added image
If you're interested in the same thing I am, which it sounds like you are, check out this site:
molecularmovies.com (some tutorials and lots of videos there)
which will lead you to molecular maya, a plugin I'm trying out at the moment and some good names to look for: Gael McGill, Drew Berry, Eric Keller, Janet Iwasa...

Also, companies that do with this stuff (in no particular order): Xvivio, Hybrid Medical, Random42, Digizyme, Cosmocyte, Argosy, Nucleus Medical (got these by google and other means).
Institutions: Wehi, Howard Hughes, Harvard

A book I'm reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Silico-Animati...0570882&sr=8-1

What's your background? Though I'm trying to learn all aspects of maya, the areas I suspect will be most useful are dynamics, nparticles, and MEL/Python scripting.

Hope that gives you plenty to start on. Now you have most of my resources and inspiration user added image

Stwert!
Thank you so much! I will def. look on all this info. My background... well I have specialized in the last years a s a high-end photoretoucher for several industries... pharmaceutical, etc. But mainly within the fashion industry in NY. I have a very solid background with PS, but also attended school for 3D (Maya). So I'm trying to shift things for me now towards this... which I have always being very passionate about... I like the medical field a lot.
So I will be taking a look and ur resources and share anything else that I find.
Thanks again Stwert!

# 6 12-12-2009 , 12:15 AM
EduSciVis-er
No problem.
I would say that a strong foundation in biology is important, if not essential, in the development of medical/scientific animation. Good luck with your investigations, and let me know how it goes.