Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-01-2010 , 10:36 PM

Simple question-dragging

Ok please don't laugh at this question as I am sure the answer is very simple but I cannot figure it out.

I am trying the free "basic human form" tutorial and I get to the part where he makes the sphere and positions it over the head and zooms in. Ok what happens when I zoom in is the head and sphere are up above my view and I spent an hour last night trying to figure out how to drag the work area down so I could zoom and focus on the head while I worked on it. This has frustrated me so bad because I am sure I have overlooked how to do this.

I just got the learning videos to work finally so I am going to watch those before I attempt another tutorial.

One more issue I am having with these free tutorials is that I am using maya 2010 and it seems all the videos I have downloaded are using the prior version and there seem to be differences in menus. Is there an easy way to figure out what the important changes are so I don't get stumped again? The one that comes to mind is in the cartoon dog tutorial he tells you to use the "modeling" menu and of course I have no such menu and I figured it that it is the "sufaces" menu the best I can tell in 2010. These little things are really holding me back from learning these tutorials...I have attempted 3 and get stumped on the very first video part and cannot continue.

Thanks in advance!

# 2 18-01-2010 , 11:34 PM
If I understand your question correctly...

1. move mouse while pressing down Alt and Left Mouse button to rotate.

2. move mouse while pressing down Alt and Right Mouse button to zoom.

3. move mouse while pressing down Alt and Middle Mouse button (wheel) to pan.

I think #3 is what you're wanting. sounds like you need to pan the camera up and down.

edit: as far as the menus being different. open up your help files. There should be a search tab. Type in the menu item you need to find in the search box and then it should give you some options. one of the options will tell you were that menu item is.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 18-01-2010 at 11:36 PM.
# 3 18-01-2010 , 11:48 PM
Subscriber
modelling was split into polygons and surfaces in 2008

if i were you i'd start with the tutorials that come with maya

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 18-01-2010 , 11:54 PM
Yep I figured as much and somehow I was able to figure that one out LOL. I was about to crank up the built in tutorials so that should get me going on the basic of basics.

Thanks perfecto I believe #3 is what I was needing to know. I was zoomed in on the chest area of the charater when I zoomed in and I needed to drag it down so I could view the head area but that was off the top of my view space.

UPDATE: Ok I got it...I have no middle mouse button just the wheel so I just set it as a middle button in the mouse properties utility and I can drag now.

Last edited by edilee012; 19-01-2010 at 12:54 AM.