Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-04-2004 , 06:49 PM

March/April - Jack Of Spades - Newbie

I would very much like to hear your opinion to this simple background to my future scene

Last edited by Jack Of Spades; 05-04-2004 at 01:02 AM.
# 2 04-04-2004 , 06:51 PM
Forgot to post the image, sorry

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 04-04-2004 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
the grass looks very good. but the tree is a bit lacking.
also can u post some sketches or description of you scene, or ideas for challenge.
looks like a great startuser added image

# 4 05-04-2004 , 12:56 AM
Hee, hee...

For the grass I used Fur>Grass (how simple it is!) and then just tried all possible combos of colors/twists and whatever there is to customize. Also I sculpted the plane to make it rough and irregular, with all little bumps and hummocks and hillocks. Since the plane was very big, I had to make a very large number of grass blades( 1 mln) and on my P4-1800 with 512DDRAM it took ~15 min. to render with MentalRay.
Tree was PaintEffects converted to polygon and it has a texture assigned to it that is supposed to look like bark.

My scene will probably be a rusted peace of armor(or full Greek armor) with some rusted stuff around/in it, like a sword or arrow.

I am in 10th grade, sophomore in high school, but if you don't take me serious, I'll make you.

Last edited by Jack Of Spades; 05-04-2004 at 01:01 AM.
# 5 05-04-2004 , 02:21 AM
I still saw some grayness in the plane, which disappointed me a lot(considering the time it took to render!) so I assigned a lambert with ramp texture(colors of tip and bottom of grass placed at ends of ramp).

Yes, the tree kinda looks sad....I fiddled with the UV layout, smoothed it and gave a better texture to the leaves. May be I should remodel it...

Attached Thumbnails

I am in 10th grade, sophomore in high school, but if you don't take me serious, I'll make you.
# 6 05-04-2004 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
I really like the effect, looks like the wind is blowing across the grass and making it ripple. try a shot from down low to the grass looking towards the tree, remember you are after a "framed" scene that will interest the viewer and maximise the effects of the render. Good start so far !

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
# 7 06-04-2004 , 03:46 AM
Well, I decided to worry about landscape later, may be I will add a mossy wall in the back, but anyway, here is my first object...kinda weird color, but that is the default shader(I used it for the plane)

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 07-04-2004 , 11:30 PM
another object...
looks realistic to me, but I still would like to hear your opinion(especially Mike) about what I should correct...

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 08-04-2004 , 12:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
The torso object seems very boxy. The indentions between the abs seems off too. Also, the armor itself doesn't have much in the way of details yet. Plates, rivets, straps, etc. user added image

The helmet looks like it's getting there, but I'd say the biggest thing it could use is some thickness. It also lacks detail (rivets, spikes, etc.).

Looking forward to progress!

# 10 08-04-2004 , 02:18 AM
Hmm... I modeled these after real ancient greek armor pics, that do not actually have any spikes or fancy stuff, just plain thing, so I don't know if they need any. May be the helmet has a thing on its top, but I'm not so sure(my pics don't). I might model it separately and say it fell off user added image
About plates - this one I'm sure there is none. Greeks had a single hammered plate for torso. And there will be no straps since armor is supposed to be old and rusted(not literally rusted, just oxidized bronze).
Abs - true, I'll work on that. Thickness - true, thanks a lot.

Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback.

# 11 09-04-2004 , 03:27 PM
Finished up the modeling, combined the obj's.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 09-04-2004 , 04:13 PM
Looking good, can u put ,ore light on the subject user added image

# 13 12-04-2004 , 02:48 PM
I did not do any lighting yet, so it is still in the future.

Over weekend went to Yosemite and obviously did not do anything.
But I made a bunch of photographs from which I will derive my textures.

# 14 12-04-2004 , 06:50 PM
Ok, this is first look at he ground...a pit that will be covered with water in a grassland surrounding...may be a mossy wall in the back...

Credits: Kevin(earth shader was downloaded from simplymaya)

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 13-04-2004 , 01:37 AM
Another update...

Does this look like oxidized copper to you?

Attached Thumbnails