Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-01-2008 , 02:42 PM

Newbie Question - Energy beam

Hi, im new to Maya and its effects, im interested in making a energy beam/ball and learn how to animate it in a movie that im making... I was wondering if there was any tutorials that were created or a direction that i can be pointed in user added image Thanks for reading - Reizion -

# 2 16-01-2008 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
energy beam like this?

Attached Images
# 3 16-01-2008 , 01:13 PM

Re: Newbie Question - Energy beam

Originally posted by Reizion
Hi, im new to Maya and its effects...I was wondering if there was any tutorials that were created or a direction that i can be pointed in user added image

Hey there Reizion.

Did you have a specific effect or look in mind?
Or maybe anything more to add to your description so we may be able to better help you?

I would hate to just guess and turn you down the wrong pathuser added image

We could do things very easily and simply key a PaintFX stroke, or go full-on with a more difficult actual dynamics situation.

Take your time and let us knowuser added image

Welcome aboard!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 16-01-2008 , 01:23 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
BTW im also interseted in this
im not sure about the best way but if you just sort of want a laser shot like in star wars just animate a cylinder and assign a glowing meterail to it

# 5 17-01-2008 , 04:02 AM
Hi, thanks for the welcome, i was hoping to do a DragonballZ style effect beam like the kamehameha wave attack and able to animate it as well, thanks for all the replies user added image - Reizion -

# 6 17-01-2008 , 08:50 AM
hehe... sorry.
Im cool, but apparently my age is showing, as I do not know what you mean by that.
I gotta watch more Z, hehe....

Do you have maybe a link to a clip of the effect in action? Yutube, etc, whatever.
..or even a still image or two so I/we can use that as a reference?

I ask because it sounds like you have a specific look in mind, and I would hate to tell you do use a technique that may not help you in the enduser added image

Sweetuser added image Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 17-01-2008 , 09:08 AM
Thanks for the help, i found a suitable look for my energy wave on Youtube user added image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdqHKRYk1E

The beam effect i want is at 2mins20seonds part with the blue energy wave, thanks again.

- Reizion -