Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 31-07-2014 , 01:18 AM
EduSciVis-er
I think the benefit is the offline/on-the-go access. I don't know how important that is these days, but I've for sure seen that as a perk on other web-series campaigns. I have also seen that as a major topic of interest on digital-tutors and lynda. Sure, people can rip youtube vids for offline access, but that's not really above board and others don't know how or don't bother.

# 17 31-07-2014 , 02:22 AM
The Maya Mountain

# 18 31-07-2014 , 08:39 AM
The thin red line
I think you are doing a fine job of showing what a tools can do (lightwave have done this for years), from what I see most of the tools in maya have not changed since maya 2009 (witch I still use). I wish some one had done this when I first started in maya many years ago................dave

# 19 31-07-2014 , 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Everything looks good, it's clear and to the point. If you get enough backing to the point of a dedicated site that would be pretty sweet. Though I've always found the idea of owning and operating a full fledged site to be terrifying, it's all sorcery to me lol.

- Genny
# 20 31-07-2014 , 05:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, I'm actually thinking I'll nix that idea. There might be a deal with Simplymaya to embed the youtube videos here, so that wont need a site.

# 21 31-07-2014 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
I think its a great idea.

Although that tip you did for me on the tool still helped millions the fact it has changed quite a bit in 2014/15 could lose you followers. But I love the idea of have tools you never use or use but wrongly (is that a word ??) and think it would really catch on.

I am also a fan of being able to have stuff offline so those options would be a plus for someone like me, although I think a dvd/cd is not needed.

I would go for it and I really hope you get a lot of backers

# 22 31-07-2014 , 11:49 PM
Technical Director
You could probably get an educational license if you only use it for teaching.

Have you looked into using LT instead?

In regards to the Kickstarter campaign, I think you should put a video, as that it what you're selling after all. Not a lot of people will venture out onto youtube to take a look. You need to make a quick, and compelling reason why they should go with you over other people. Show some of your work if you can.

You must also complete this by February 1st, 2015 as Autodesk will be eliminating the upgrade policy at that time.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 31-07-2014 at 11:58 PM.
# 23 01-08-2014 , 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

You must also complete this by February 1st, 2015 as Autodesk will be eliminating the upgrade policy at that time.

Yeah I heard about that, they're trying to push subscriptions hard. I've been poking around C4D lately. For anybody who didn't know, as of Feb 1st 2015, if you're not on sub and you want the latest version you're going to have to pay the full price.

- Genny
# 24 01-08-2014 , 06:24 AM
The Maya Mountain

In regards to the Kickstarter campaign, I think you should put a video, as that it what you're selling after all. Not a lot of people will venture out onto youtube to take a look. You need to make a quick, and compelling reason why they should go with you over other people. Show some of your work if you can.

Yeah, I'll definitely be putting up a video. I just wanted to nail down the rewards and description first. Thanks for all the comments! They're super helpful!

# 25 01-08-2014 , 07:16 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks again for all the great feedback. I've done some tweaking to the reward structures. I'd love to hear what you think about pricing and tutoring times. I also nixed the T-Shirts (probably would eat too much into the funds to even let me do the upgrade to the begin with!) and also the website (too much work for me, plus, kinda redundant). Instead, with that highest stretch goal, I could potentially start channels for other applications (ie The 3DS Max Toolbelt, The Photoshop Toolbelt, etc.). That could be cool!

Here's the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=e14e7d37

# 26 01-08-2014 , 09:08 PM
Technical Director
What about the comics you used to do? You could probably do something with that as well.

I'm a little confused on what you mean by "subscriber" for x amount of time. If these videos are going up on Youtube, you can just download them from there. (I'm not condoning it, just mentioning what people could do) I think you need to make it a bit more advantageous to be a subscriber.

# 27 02-08-2014 , 03:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, to be honest, I'm starting to re-think that whole idea... not sure what all I could offer to people, aside from tutoring... hmm, any ideas?

# 28 02-08-2014 , 05:48 AM
The Maya Mountain
Ok, after giving it some thought, I've taken the whole "subscription" idea out. It may not be all that much of a value add. So, tutoring is still the main thing I've got going. Any thoughts?

# 29 02-08-2014 , 06:22 AM
Technical Director
You might be able to do something like "give me a reference and I'll record myself modeling it, then give you the model" or something like that. That way they get something, and everyone else gets the insight on how to do it.

# 30 02-08-2014 , 01:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
That's an interesting idea, although I run the risk of people asking for something that would take a long time to make vs the amount of money they pledge... like if it's for, I dunno, $200 and they ask for something huge like a film-quality Transforming robot that can transform into a train... I guess, I could limit it's length somehow, or limit it to a prop or something.

Thanks for the idea, I'll think about it.