Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-07-2011 , 07:11 AM

My Dream Office Challenge - Daveido

So I've been thinking of some 1920s, '30s styled vintage detective office. Still don't have a particular idea, I just really like that era, its my number 1 favourite. I'll post some reference images as I go along and search for some images around the net. I'd like to create something old looking, dusty perhaps, and definately want to add a noire feeling to it.

For this challange I'd like to set up a new personal goal for myself. Learning from the experiences from the last challange my main focus will be on composition, lighting (and texturing). Of course I'll try to make quality modeling as well, but I feel I'm the weakest in these areas. user added image

# 2 27-07-2011 , 07:23 AM
Good Luck Daveido..............

# 3 27-07-2011 , 10:49 AM
Lifetime Member
Sounds good mate...trawl the net for old movie images like Bogart etc etc that should give you some good starts?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 27-07-2011 , 11:12 PM
sounds interesting.. good luck..

# 5 31-07-2011 , 03:06 AM
19 year Veteran

Last edited by THX1138; 31-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
# 6 31-07-2011 , 12:07 PM
Thank you guys, thanks THX1138 user added image

Just a little update on my entry... So I've been thinking about it for a while, and decided that I'll push it a bit back in time. I thought about the 1920s era at first because that's one of my favourites, and I can really image myself living at that time. And the detectives and noire stuff really was my favourite when I was young, so it's kind of a dream place for me - even though if it's a bit dusty and bad looking user added image

But as I was thinking about it, I kept ending up in an other era, which I "discovered" 1-2 years ago, and really got engaged with it, and that's the era between 1880-1900, or the time of Sherlock Holmes user added image So this is a bit of modification to my original subject, and I'm thinking about putting in some imaginary steampunk elements in it - thus making it a created world, and not staying in the boundaries of reality user added image But I'm not sure about this yet...

And one last thing, I'm proceeding really slowly at this time, still trying to come up with the concept image - I'm thinking about making a drawing first that'll show what my general idea is.

# 7 31-07-2011 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber

Thank you guys, thanks THX1138 user added image

Just a little update on my entry... So I've been thinking about it for a while, and decided that I'll push it a bit back in time. I thought about the 1920s era at first because that's one of my favourites, and I can really image myself living at that time. And the detectives and noire stuff really was my favourite when I was young, so it's kind of a dream place for me - even though if it's a bit dusty and bad looking user added image

But as I was thinking about it, I kept ending up in an other era, which I "discovered" 1-2 years ago, and really got engaged with it, and that's the era between 1880-1900, or the time of Sherlock Holmes user added image So this is a bit of modification to my original subject, and I'm thinking about putting in some imaginary steampunk elements in it - thus making it a created world, and not staying in the boundaries of reality user added image But I'm not sure about this yet...

And one last thing, I'm proceeding really slowly at this time, still trying to come up with the concept image - I'm thinking about making a drawing first that'll show what my general idea is.

reckon a some good prep work would be a good idea for this challenge, where artistic quality is cited in the judging criteria. attention to composition and a good working idea for your final outcome could come in very handy....

# 8 31-07-2011 , 02:34 PM
19 year Veteran

Last edited by THX1138; 31-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
# 9 01-08-2011 , 02:03 PM
I like your approach to the challenge. Having a clear concept is the way to go and sketching out that idea nails it down even more. Otherwise, you risk ending up with something that is disjointed or something that looks nothing like you wanted. It can also slow you down your progress quite a bit. A little bit of planning up front can save you alot of time at the end.

Part of the judging criteria is creativity so I think your latest idea would work really well. Anything outside the box usually reflects the artists creativity so I say go for it. Ask yourself "what can I do that will make people think...WOW!"

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 02-08-2011 , 11:23 PM
"the time of Sherlock Holmes," -sounds excellent! Makes me think of an office with tons of cool items, gadgets, great style. Made me think of the, "The Sherlock Holmes Museum
221b Baker Street London NW1 6XE England." That would be a very cool office/study (add some trap doors, hidden/secret passages, etc. ).

# 11 03-08-2011 , 01:33 PM
Hey, thanks.
I'm now most definite on the era, so I'm remaining in the office of Sherlock Holmes with some steampunk elements and various inventions laying around in the room. I'm trying to focus on lights and rendering, and of course the modeling...

I think I've got the camera position as well, so I'm posting a picture of it - sorry for the bad quality, don't have a scanner at the moment, so it's a photo... This is my general idea, basically just the major furniture layed out. But I'm already making changes, for example in the place of the bookshelf I'm planning to make an old stove (well a bit upgraded steampunk style). And there will be a lot more interesting stuff lying around in the foreground, but let's just make that a surprise.

I'm proceeding really slowly unfortunately... I have a lot of work now, and I wanted to make sure that my composition and my general idea is good enough. And I'll leave for two weeks soon, so I won't have much time to work on this project. I hope that I can finish it in time... user added image

Any critique is welcome! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 03-08-2011 , 02:02 PM
The thin red line
Thats looks good, I would press on with what you have then if you have time do some steampunk stuff................dave

# 13 03-08-2011 , 02:31 PM
Very nice sketch. I love the camera angle, furniture arrangement, and the overall concept. I think visually, it's going to have a super nice feel to it.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 14 03-08-2011 , 05:25 PM
Thanks guys, it means a lot that you like it, I put some time into making a good concept in my head user added image
I jumped right into the modeling after I posted, so here are today's results... I made the desk, not sure yet about it, maybe will make a totally new one... It definately needs some kind of wooden carving, or fretwork to its back... Will work on that one a bit later, I still need to find the "perfect pattern" for it user added image Other than that I made a pretty steampunk lamp user added image

The poly count quickly jumped as I was working user added image didn't expect it to be that big, but because I want a big resolution final image and some great models I try to do some high poly stuff... so I'm at 50k at this moment... We'll see how it goes... user added image

Hope you like it!

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 03-08-2011 , 06:08 PM
The thin red line
I think the texture(some thing like MAHOGANY) should make the desk come alive...........dave